A couple of illegible signatures

Discussion in 'Art' started by Soupster, Mar 17, 2024.

1. Soupster

Soupster Member

Hi Antiquers,

I recently acquired some paintings but I'm having trouble figuring out the signatures. I think they're both Danish, but could be mistaken. I figured I'd post them here to see if anyone can help with deciphering :)
    The second one is much more legible, yet still I've had no luck when searching with numerous variations of how it appears to me. If anyone can help I would be very grateful.
    Screenshot_20240317-150115.png Screenshot_20240317-150543~3.png Screenshot_20240317-150540~3.png Screenshot_20240317-150146~4.png Screenshot_20240317-150146~5.png Screenshot_20240317-151204.png

Potteryplease and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Surname Schwann?

Soupster and Any Jewelry like this.
  3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Nice paintings Soupster, from what I can see of them.
    The windmill is of the type seen in Denmark and parts of Germany, so yes, it could be Danish.

Soupster and i need help like this.
  4. Soupster

Soupster Member

Fantastic I just found it from searching around with Schwann, its actually by Carl Schwenn :) Thank you for your input

Figtree3, i need help and Any Jewelry like this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The church in the first has an onion dome top on its steeple. I think of that that being more Russian than Danish. Am I wrong?

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

No you're not, onion domes on churches are seen a lot in Central and Eastern Europe. Even in northern Italy, the former Austrian part, and occasionally in the Netherlands as well.
    That one is not by the same painter, different signature.

7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

On the first one, I see W????ood. Maybe someone needs to try some digital magic on the signature to isolate it from the background.

Draft saved Draft deleted