A captain’s chair?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by DanB, Aug 23, 2024.

1. DanB

DanB New Member

The style of this chair seems to make it a captain’s chair. Is that right? Can anyone help with the type of wood? And approximate age or even place of origin? I’m sitting on it right now ( it’s v comfy). No marks to offer any clues I’m afraid…

Attached Files:

Ghopper1924 and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Looks like Quality goods...an' seems obviously comfie!

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

@verybrad
    @Ghopper1924

she's nice !
    an early 1900's office, business, chair... oak most likely.... they made hundreds of thousands of these type of chairs.........

Ghopper1924 and wlwhittier like this.
  4. DanB

DanB New Member

Thank you very much. The wood is very red in hue, which made me think it wasn’t oak… Not sure if that comes across clearly in the pics.

And I’m wondering about the small chunk missing at the back - is that something that can be artfully repaired or is it best to leave as is?

Thx again

komokwa and Ghopper1924 like this.
  5. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Agree about the office chair function Looks to be about 1910 or so. Ordinarily I would expect oak as well, although it may be another wood like beech or even mahogany.

The value will unfortunately be minimal, even with the good quality material, due to the ongoing brown furniture depression. But if you can find a good furniture repair person, they should be able to repair that damage fairly easily.

Oh, and “captains chair” is a fairly general term that is widely used but inexact. I would just call it a hardwood armchair.

6. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

Looks to have a "Honduran Mahogany" grain type pattern.
    [​IMG]

komokwa likes this.
  7. komokwa

ya...looks reddish....but I swing to oak by habit on these chairs....
    maybe a close up of the damage might show the grain better !

Ghopper1924 likes this.
  8. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Definitely not oak. Looks like birch (or beech if from the UK or Continent ) with a red stain to mimic mahogany. Nice chair but damage kills it. Having it repaired would likely exceed value.

komokwa and Ghopper1924 like this.
  9. verybrad

Always called these a courthouse chair despite their use in many types of commercial settings. Fairly ubiquitous in courthouses in the US.

komokwa, Ghopper1924 and pearlsnblume like this.
  10. komokwa

& nearly every gov't office building..

11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Firewood.

Debora

12. DanB

DanB New Member

13. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Handsome chair but... It looks unrepairable.

Debora

14. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Hmm...I couldn't get enough of a close-up to accurately judge that, an' it may well be so. It might be worth a try...'tho the task would have to be DIY or very reasonably done. It is, after all, just another piece of brown furniture, attractive as it may be.

DanB likes this.
  15. komokwa

looks like big cracks on both sides of the back as well...

16. DanB

DanB New Member

It is a handsome chair - at least I think so. And it’s comfortable. And strong. Which kind of means by the definition of a chair it continues to serve its purpose. And it’s been a part of my mum’s home for decades so has memories attached to it. On that basis it’s probably not firewood, but maybe that depends on one’s criteria for what makes a piece of furniture worth preserving, or one’s attitude to life in general. If it has no monetary value it’s for the incinerator? I’m inclined to see your post as just a bit presumptuous.

17. DanB

DanB New Member

Anyway I appreciate the previous comments - thank you- I now have some idea of what kind of chair it is and that’s a help.

komokwa likes this.
  18. verybrad

Then, it would be worth repairing. We tend to look at things from a re-sale point of view as far as value goes around here. Afterall, it is the marketplace that determines monetary value. This would have no value in the marketplace and little more even if repaired. As a family heirloom, it may be priceless.

Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  19. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I use one of these every day. We do indeed call them captains chairs in the U.K. Mine is mahogany, which they often are.

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted