7-layer venetian Chevron bead

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Soki, Jan 18, 2023.

1. Soki

Soki Active Member

Hi guys,

I got a very nice chevron bead. It’s my first one and it had to be an authentic 7-layer piece, made in Venice in the 16th century. I searched hours to find one of the right size, shape and condition. It measures ~33mm x 25.5mm and weighs ~28.7g.

The inner core is a very dark teal, almost seems black in most lightning. The center star is a bit crooked, but that seems to be normal with many pieces. There are also many holes from the manufacturing process, where the air escaped.

The blue outer layer is very strong, not worn or ground down too much. The condition is very good and it was definetely cleaned thoroughly. I thought it may have been sanded because of the nice and fresh colours, but according to some guys in a Facebook group it‘s probably in it’s original state. The facets at both ends are still there and not worn down.

A beautiful piece.

Thousands, probably millions of these first generation 7-layer pieces were produced for about 150 years with only slight variations.

Many had quality issues like air-holes, crooked and incomplete layers, irregular perforations and so on…they were mass produced for trading purposes, mostly for West Africa. The quality control was pretty laxly (you can see sone of the issues on my piece). For me I love the imperfections, they are charming and interesting.

The core-colour can vary pretty much. I already saw light green, teal, blue, black and red. The other colours don’t vary much within the first 7-layers.

Many got lost, damaged or altered with grinding or wearing. Despite the mass production they are 400/500 years later not that common anymore and priced accordingly.

It‘s my favorite bead at the moment and I wear it around my neck.

Have a nice day,

Simon

upload_2023-1-18_11-39-16.jpeg
    upload_2023-1-18_11-39-24.jpeg
    upload_2023-1-18_11-40-17.jpeg

stracci, Woutinc, wlwhittier and 7 others like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Lovely, a nice oldie, congratulations.:)
    The imperfections are good imperfections, consistent with a considerable age.

3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

nice chevron..

kyratango, Bronwen and Soki like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted