Featured 5 Tiny Carved Ivory? Dogs, Each a Different Breed

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by wlwhittier, Nov 16, 2023.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Please see next post for the other 3 dogs.

These were among uncle Leonards things. Each is roughly an inch long an' all 5 together weigh ~18 grams.

My guess is that they were carved post-war, before 1952 when Leonard an' his wife Annabelle left Japan.

I question Ivory 'cause I can't see any of those characteristic lines that show in elephant ivory.

They are not cast. Under a loupe the tool marks on each one are abundantly evident.

Have any of you got experience with such work?

877768EE-9FD1-4184-94EA-0C18D9AD3784_1_201_a.jpeg 2E1706AA-2C37-4F4E-8F3F-F0B6D95BF62E_1_201_a.jpeg 163D6DF3-5F41-440C-91DA-465B309039BF_1_201_a.jpeg F771C67D-C722-449A-A393-911FDA104F72_1_201_a.jpeg 2339C48B-5120-42D2-8142-88BC9760A6AB_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 16, 2023
  2. wlwhittier

Here are the other three...Thanks for lookin'!

F9455C26-0987-42BE-A552-6C599A32EE7C_1_201_a.jpeg 580D1050-F739-4FA9-B60D-1071CCB756C2_1_201_a.jpeg 13241231-38CD-43B5-8DE1-1BA677959C36_1_201_a.jpeg E3ABB2B5-7B31-4BB6-B184-1E6FB6FB525B_1_201_a.jpeg 3BF11324-171B-48C4-A21C-DB5E8C7A50D7_1_201_a.jpeg 28886D13-B779-41CB-B3A1-56B03F5CBED8_1_201_a.jpeg

3. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

KSW, pearlsnblume, judy and 4 others like this.
  4. wlwhittier

Agreed...thanks!

KSW and judy like this.
  5. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

Nice carvings!

KSW, judy, kyratango and 1 other person like this.
  6. wlwhittier

Thanks, Pp...

KSW and judy like this.
  7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

They all look nicely done..........any chance of a super, but crisp and larger photo of the bottom of a or some feet???

KSW, pearlsnblume, wlwhittier and 5 others like this.
  8. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Heh, this one looks like my Presh, long tongue and all:

precious-japanese-bone-carving.jpeg

precious-2019-1.jpg

precious-japanese-bone-carving-2.jpeg

precious-breedersite-2.jpg

~Cheryl

KSW, Aquitaine, pearlsnblume and 10 others like this.
  9. DragonflyWink

Should mention that if selling, it's a good idea to mention whatever breed it might resemble, like on the one I compared to my pooch, it might be wanted by someone looking for curly-tailed, prick-eared Spitz-type breeds like Samoyeds, Alaskan Malamutes, Keeshonds, Akitas, etc. I have silver charms for all the dogs I've had in my life, Presh is a silly designer breed with 'secret' lineage, but her DNA is fairly heavy with Samoyed, and that was the closest I found...

~Cheryl

Aquitaine, KSW, pearlsnblume and 5 others like this.
  10. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Could also be Tagua Nut (vegetable eyevoree) but surface doesn’t look as lustrous as tagua often can be. I’d vote bone. Aqua mentioned a clearer image would be helpful, brighter lighting too.

Aquitaine, KSW, pearlsnblume and 3 others like this.
  11. J Dagger

12. DragonflyWink

Right around 35 pounds, and she is a sweet thing, but full of eccentricities - been mine for four years now, spent the first six years of her life as a brood-bitch...

~Cheryl

KSW and J Dagger like this.
  13. wlwhittier

This morning I hit them with UV...they show Pink! That's a new one for me.
    I'll see what I can do about those pics...including of the tops an' bottoms, an' feets.

KSW and J Dagger like this.
  14. J Dagger

Interesting looking doog! I bet she’s cool. My folks have a former 3-4 breeder bull dog. She’s a sweet gal. They worked her for sure.

15. J Dagger

I’ve got a couple little dogs like yours that I think are eyevoree but I never examined them too hard. Then I have this thing. It’s one of my favorite objects of all time. Tiny but full of fun. I believe you can see some schraegers in the base. The figures are tough to see much in. 984DFE45-650F-411C-A29F-047642D63414.jpeg D40B2F47-6BFB-4EA3-8BB9-C28B63706BBA.jpeg

16. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

The first one looks like a Scottish Terrier & the last one looks like a Collie.

wlwhittier and DragonflyWink like this.
  17. DragonflyWink

Agree, little question on Scottie, pretty distinctive with short legs, long nose, and prick ears (and such a popular subject); the last looks to me like a Collie or Sheltie as well. The second could be any number of terriers, Wire Fox, Airedale, Welsh, Lakeland, etc., even a Schnauzer, though they more often have longer beards; would guess Akita on the third...

~Cheryl

wlwhittier and bercrystal like this.
  18. Aquitaine

OH LORDY, sounds JUST like my/our situation, only it was the first 4 years of her life, she's 8 now and STILL has her 2 big issues...... she's sweet and loving as the day is long, but has pretty serious 'separation anxiety' whenever we go out, and having those first 4 years mostly in a crate, also being a 'brood-bitch', am afraid she'll NEVER be fully house-trained.....it's improved somewhat, she'll frequently ASK to go out (which she never did before!). We haven't the heart to return her, but it DOES get wearing and stressful for us, as we're not getting any younger!! Such is life, and we still love her to pieces!

bercrystal and DragonflyWink like this.
  19. DragonflyWink

That's the pretty little dapple Doxie you adopted not too long after I got Presh, right? Suspect Presh's issues are a bit different, she's an Alpha (who will feign submission) and wants what she wants, believe her time in a breeding kennel environment left her with dominance issues and we've stopped dog parks because she tends to rather aggressively mount other dogs, usually females but passive males as well - she also tries to tell me what to do, but that doesn't work. She's my first 'snow-dog', and the hardest thing for me, after decades of Aussies and Shelties, herders with strong protective instincts and need to please, that like many other similar breeds, while she's loves me, she's not protective in any way and I'm pretty sure if I were threatened she'd just look for a belly-rub or treat. She's also an incorrigible thief, anything paper a special favorite, fortunately she loves her crate, and she has to be there or locked in the back yard if I'm not around to police her - no separation-anxiety, she just waits for any opportunity to steal and destroy, whether I'm near or not. She is smart and learns tricks easily, but has an underlying stubbornness that can be aggravating - and yet I just adore the sweet brat with her friendly, affectionate nature and happy-go-lucky personality...

~Cheryl

20. Aquitaine

So, sounds like they both have their own set of special issues!:rolleyes: I would be happy to crate Keeper when we go out, say for dinner or with company, but she HAS peed in it....it's NOT a huge crate, but she can turn around in it.....since it's right next to her bed, she HAS gone in on her own for a 'nap'.....no door on it....but I believe when we went out once, and came home (she was IN the crate with the grate door ON) I had to THOROUGHLY clean it as she did 'both' in it... no easy answers, and my Vet is trying suggestions.....Keep's on a powder in the A.M. with her food- "Calming Care", and about to add some dog CBD chews which are also supposed to help with behavior and anxiety.....but only when we go out.....she does pretty well as long as we're around! After that (if it doesn't work), THEN the Vet suggested we can try some heavier meds... I hope not to get to that point, But do have a friend who's husky type dog was going ballistic in storms & thunderstorms....and he's doing very well on -can't remember what it is, but dog dosage of people med- if that makes sense......she had a rough start and just don't want to give up on her!!!! BTW, I LOVE Presh's coloring!!! She too is gorgeous!!!!

komokwa and bercrystal like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted