Featured 4th Generation Family Treasure: Simple Turquoise Bracelet, Unmarked

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by wlwhittier, Aug 20, 2024.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

This belongs to a friend whose great-grandmother first owned it. There is no familial memory of where or when it was originally acquired. One of the 7 stones has been replaced, long ago; the repair is fairly recent. The story has all the stones matching in color when GGM had it, but variation in their color has occurred during the years of wearing by successive daughters. I don't have measurements, but the stones are about 1/4 X 3/8 inches. I believe the replaced stone is 2nd from the left end in pic #1.
    Friend Sarah would really like to have any of your wisdom about potential tribal indications and/or maker-style appearance. All other comments are, of course, most welcome. Thanks for lookin'!

P1420329.jpeg P1420330.jpeg P1420334.jpeg P1420335.jpeg P1420336.jpeg P1420337.jpeg P1420333.jpeg P1420332.jpeg

Any Jewelry, antidiem, reader and 7 others like this.
  2. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

3. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Same here, or a kissing cousin. I'd say post-WWII and probably post-1960, just from the construction.

mirana, stracci and Ownedbybear like this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Friend Sarah has a lovely bracelet, with a very nice family tradition.
    It is 1960s or earlier imo.
    Older SW turquoise jewellery usually has unmatched stones, so there was probably already a bit of difference in shade of turquoise. Untreated turquoise can and will absorb skin grease, etc. Over time that causes discolouration. Sarah has her ancestors with her as she wears the bracelet.

The style as such is Zuni, but it could be either Zuni or Navajo made. Without a siggy we will never know.
    If you google 'Zuni snake eye bracelet' you will probably find similar ones.

reader, Dessert58, wlwhittier and 2 others like this.
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

It is a pretty little thing, isn't it? The variation in stone color adds interest.

Debora

7. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

I agree with everyone above^
    Nice bracelet, probably Navajo, but maybe Zuni.
    I love NA jewelry.

reader, Dessert58, wlwhittier and 2 others like this.
  8. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Nice! I don’t usually like shadow box settings at all on NA jewelry but I like this one a lot

Draft saved Draft deleted