4 foot tall lamp with mini shades

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by VintageVessel, Dec 13, 2019.

1. VintageVessel

VintageVessel New Member

20191213_163641.jpg 20191213_163359.jpg 20191213_163413.jpg I bought a house, and found inside a 4 foot tall lamp that I am having trouble finding information about. I didnt see any markings. Does anyone know anything about out it? Especially looking for the time period.... I appreciate the help!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019
  2. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

If you can, edit the photos to "FULL IMAGE".

https://www.antiquers.com/threads/posting-a-thread-and-uploading-pictures.15990/

For now, I think if the shade is original I'd put it at 1960s plus or minus a decade.

Always helpful to see photos of the plug, underneath, etc. Looks vintage, I don't know if they made this kind of thing in the first half of the 20th century so wait for others, too. Someone may just know of the top of their head.

3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

What a horror ! Id call it Mediterrainian /Spanish revival,circa 1960s . Seems to be a market for these ,God knows why . :)

4. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

I can see why it was left behind in the house. . .I'm with Johnny, what a horror.

judy, Sandra and Bakersgma like this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

The shade looks like a corset! :eek:

6. VintageVessel

VintageVessel New Member

Thanks for the responses. I updated to full image. I will try to add a picture of the bottom tomorrow.

judy likes this.
  7. Lucille.b

With the photos in a larger format this really looks 1960's to me. Maybe additional photos not needed.

VintageVessel and judy like this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

if that didn't come from a 60's whorehouse...it belongs in one.......:eek::eek:

9. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Agree with Johnny
    Would have looked right at home in a dark paneled room, a large brass medallion above the stone fireplace. Maybe a knight in armor on the mantel.

There are people who love this stuff. Those of us who lived it - well it's a horror as stated.

Clean it up before you try to sell it. The nicer it looks the more you will realize for it.

VintageVessel, judy and Aquitaine like this.
  10. sabre123

sabre123 Well-Known Member

I lived it, but it was much better tolerated when I was high!

11. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Easier to see a bit smaller.........Hi and WELCOME to ANTIQUERS @VintageVessel ......Looks like you certainly sparked quite a few memories with your vintage lamp!!!!! All in good humor and hoping you take it that way!!!!:):):):) It certainly is a "loud" shade!!!!:smuggrin::smuggrin:
    Sounds like it's probably from around the 1960's!!

20191213_163641-2.jpg

12. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

On Second thought, that could have been in Elvis's house!!!!!:hilarious::hilarious::p

judy, Fid and sabre123 like this.
  13. patd8643

patd8643 Well-Known Member

We used to call them bordello lamps!

14. judy

judy Well-Known Member

Hi Vintagevessel!

Welcome to Antiquers.............

VintageVessel likes this.
  15. johnnycb09

It DID seem to help ! LOL !

16. VintageVessel

VintageVessel New Member

Any ideas about the value? I assume not much...

17. johnnycb09

It really depends where you are. Cleaned up I could see it going for $75-125 here in N. Fl but it might go for less in Dubuque IA. Or more in Los Angeles.

18. Lucille.b

Are we thinking the shade is original to the lamp? Possible, but it sort of looks a little odd of a match to my eye. Well the OP can certainly say that it came with it when they found it.

Condition will be important. Those old velvet style shades tended to fade, show every piece of lint, wear etc. Any water stains or tears and the shade (and therefore lamp) for something like this, loses much of it's value. If the shade is musty at all, I think that is a deal breaker, and you might be better selling w/o the shade.

IF the shade is perfect, I suppose I'd agree with Johnny's numbers for an urban area, maybe in a retail setting. I would totally play up some of the wording from above "Bordello lamp" "Looks like it came out of a 1960s whorehouse." etc. etc. but that's just me. It certainly has a lot going on. If the prisms are glass, mention that.

I'd have a hard time getting more than $50 for it where I live (fairly urban) but you just never know. If some has to have it, maybe money is no object!

Figtree3 and komokwa like this.
  19. Drew

Drew Well-Known Member

patd8643 got the name which folks have been referring to them as - 'Bordello Lamps'. At our local flea market, I've noticed young people, like 15-25 love these and are buying them. . . generally pretty low, $30. to $75. Goes back to the saying, "they're ghastly enough, making them gorgeous". (the collectors paradox) !

20. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Maybe we need to revive the Ugly Lamp thread.

judy likes this.