Featured 4,5 billion year old antique

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by hunt2, Jun 21, 2024.

1. hunt2

hunt2 Well-Known Member

I have rediscovered a possible meteorite found in the netherlands. It was laying around in a pile of rocks in a garden and with permission a got all the stone for free because the owner was going to trow them away. What do you guys think of it? IMG_20240621_195921867_HDR.jpg IMG_20240621_200004962.jpg IMG_20240621_200026344.jpg

2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

It certainly looks like one ! They can be rather pricey,hopefully someone can confirm .

3. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

4. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

nice find. I thought we were not supposed to touch those things?? Maybe I am wrong.

5. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

I lightened it a bit and enhanced w/color.....and I see two pretty definitive HEARTS that I circled......and a triangle I did not circle just above the larger circle....maybe try to have it tested or verified??????

2 HEARTS_200004962.jpg

pearlsnblume likes this.
  6. hunt2

hunt2 Well-Known Member

it strongly atracts a magnet and weighs 937 grams and measures 11 x 6 x 3,5 cm at the widest points.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  7. hunt2

hunt2 Well-Known Member

All those are scars from the weathering and flaking off and yes you can see anything in those. If it is a meteorite it has been on earth for 10.000 years or more. Sadly the so called experts said it was not a meteorite. But he had a bad photo and i have made the new ones as you see above. here is a photo of an old iron meteorite. 66.jpg

pearlsnblume and kyratango like this.
  8. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Interesting. So are you resending the better quality photos to recognised experts? You are going to need their confirmation for it to have any value.

What do the experts say? Iron ore slag?

Last edited: Jun 22, 2024
    pearlsnblume likes this.
  9. hunt2

hunt2 Well-Known Member

they haven´t replied anymore but they are so convinced that you can´t find a meteorite that they don't even bother to look further into the matter. I have even porposed that we could test the flakes for nickel. 0 response, very sad.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  10. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Well if you send photos to more than one ‘so called’ experts and they all agree it’s not a meteorite than that should tell you something unfortunately (it would have been cool if they provided reasons) Certainly several experts can’t all be wrong?

Sometimes ‘so called’ experts are only ‘so called’ when they don’t tell you what you want to hear.

But luckily if you keeping it then you can believe and called it whatever you want :) It’s a cool thing. But to sell it you will need proof/confirmation (I would think)

Maybe take it to some appropriate museum so they can inspect it ‘first hand’

11. hunt2

hunt2 Well-Known Member

the only way is to cut a large piece off, than you know what it is

Boland likes this.
  12. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

13. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

Ok. Well that’s unfortunate.

14. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

charlie cheswick likes this.
  15. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

How do you figure this?

Any Jewelry likes this.
  16. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Moderator Moderator

I think you are a billion out, its only 3.5 billion :rolleyes:

Smash a hole through your house roof then another through your lounge ceiling and your lounge floor and photograph it in the hole and see what they say then ?:D

17. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

It would be good to know the origin of the rocks. They are generally not found in the Netherlands, and Dutch garden centres sell rocks from all over the world. Can you still get some of the other rocks in the pile?
    That is about the same weight as a piece of agate I have which is the same size, I just weighed it. Meteorites are said to be heavier than regular stones.
    Meteorites are still falling. You don't know where it came from, so even if it is a meteorite, you don't know how long it has been here.
    Who were these experts? There are a number of museums of natural history in the Netherlands.
    You can test for nickel yourself.;) Charlie's link has instructions.

Marote likes this.
  18. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

To be fair, hunt's estimate was between 4.5 billion and 10 thousand (post #7).;)

19. Desertau

Desertau Well-Known Member

Iron stone probably.

20. Chinoiserie

Chinoiserie Well-Known Member

Dinosaur poo?

pearlsnblume likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted