3-legged Dish: Heron and Lotus side one & Sri Yantra reverse - what is it?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by JayC, Jul 7, 2018.

1. JayC

JayC Member

I have interesting, (at least to me), piece on which I'm hoping someone might be able to provide background. From the imbedded symbols I believe the bowl has its roots in Hinduism but I can't figure out how. On the top is a relief image of a heron in a pond with a lotus and on the reverse is a Sri Yantra molded into the ceramic. The entire dish is molded in the form of a lotus leaf with hand formed edges. There is no signature or mark, other than the Sri Yantra. The dish is about 10" x 8" and stands about 2" tall.

Attached Files:

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Hi JayC, I see you are giving this dish a try again. Maybe you will get other eyes on it this time.
    Here is the first thread for those who want to see the info already given, there are full image photos as well.
    https://www.antiquers.com/threads/n...ng-salt-glazed-dish-please.19107/#post-259844
    The dish does not have its roots in traditional Asian Hinduism, but could have been made by a Western studio potter who adheres to, or likes, modern Western Hinduism.
    Or the potter just wanted to use a mark that stood out from the others.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2018
    komokwa and judy like this.
  3. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I think thats a salt glaze,studio pottery for sure but very nice.

Any Jewelry likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted