3 Japanese Plated Brass Trays; Paulownia Mon?

Discussion in 'Metalware' started by wlwhittier, Jan 23, 2024.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

They are ~6 1/8" X ~4 1/16" X ~1/4"; ~3 3/4 oz.
    These appear to be made for the same purpose as in my previous posting of the single silver koban-style tray. They differ in a few ways 'tho, aside from material an' decorative features.
    The horizontal hammered rice-grain marks are individually done, hundreds of 'em. The silver tray shows the same rough pattern of horizontally oriented long-oval shapes, but all of those were formed from a single impression of a die; that makes me wonder if these may significantly pre-date that one.
    The center one here shows a great deal more plating loss from use & wear, but the other 2 are worn as well, with brass showing, mostly on high spots, on the back.
    Also, the 6 impressed marks on the back, uniform between the 3 trays (which seem to be maker's identification) have been applied after other shaping an' hammering.
    These were acquired after the silver tray by maybe 20 years. Aside from the obvious similarities in probable function...an' the rice-grain hammered motif...there's no connection.
    Have any of y'all seen others of this style or pattern? Is there anything about them to suggest purpose? Your thoughts an' comments are most welcome...thanks for lookin'

P1400201.jpeg P1400202.jpeg P1400203.jpeg P1400204.jpeg P1400205.jpeg P1400206.jpeg P1400207.jpeg P1400208.jpeg P1400209.jpeg P1400210.jpeg

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

3. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

komokwa and Bakersgma like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

maybe political gifts...?

wlwhittier likes this.
  5. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Well...heavy on the May-Be. So much wear?
    If these had been given as awards, or as/in recognition of achievement or favor, you wouldn't expect them to then be used to the point of losing plated surface, I don't believe.
    I'm certainly no expert on Asian social or political conduct. But I've serious doubt, Komo...

komokwa likes this.