3 Japanese Hand-Decorated Bowls, Unusual T-Shaped Signature

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by wlwhittier, May 30, 2022.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

fullsizeoutput_9389.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9388.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9387.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9386.jpeg fullsizeoutput_9385.jpeg

These came back in 1952 with an uncle who spent ~7 years in Japan immediately following the surrender. That's all I know for certain. The designs are the same, as are the signatures; but each have many subtle differences due to being hand-done. The bowls are ~6 inches in diameter, ~1½ high, and average ~264 grams each. Most of the design elements inside the rim look very similar to Satsuma, in that they are overglaze & 'proud' to the surface.

I would like to know what the style is, where they were made, their age, and whether they were export material or for domestic consumption. I hope some of that information may be in the signature, the translation of which will be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all for looking!

Ce BCA likes this.
  2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

There may be Satsuma-looking elements in the decor, but the top right-hand character in the mark is Kutani.

3. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

@Bakersgma is correct, they are Japanese Kutani ware, and this is what the top two characters say - they also appear to be porcelain, Satsuma is pottery (earthenware). These are early 20th century in period inter-war or perhaps slightly earlier. The bottom character is very likely 'made' but the other two are too scrawled for me to make out. A native speaker may be able to decipher it though if you can find a Japanese translations forum.

For the specific questions, the style is 'Kutani' and they were made in Kaga province, Japan. They were made for export, the Japanese taste in ceramics is very reserved and revolves around form, not decoration.

4. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

Excellent work...Thank You!!

Draft saved Draft deleted