3 HAND SIGNED? RED SKELTON CLOWN PRINTS

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, May 9, 2018.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I found these at my local thrift store yesterday & after looking them up and seeing the prices they are asking, am wondering if this was the best thrift store find yet?
    I can't tell if they are prints or lithos behind glass, but they all have 2 different signatures - and when I looked at several Carol Burnett "Clowns Clown" lithos hand signed by Red Skelton, they are all in different positions from mine - are these hand signed by Red Skelton? (Note: 2nd clown's 2nd signature is on the left side - see photo)
    Also, each has a copyright symbol and 1977 in the bottom left corner, but each signature has 1975 next to it - why?
    Any info on these would be appreciated!
    AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING CLOWN RED SKELTON 1AA A GROUP.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING CLOWN RED SKELTON 2AA A GROUP.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING CLOWN RED SKELTON 2AAA A GROUP.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING CLOWN RED SKELTON 3AA A GROUP.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING CLOWN RED SKELTON 3AAA A GROUP.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING CLOWN RED SKELTON 4AA CLOWNS CLOWN CAROL BURNETT.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING CLOWN RED SKELTON 4AAA CLOWNS CLOWN CAROL BURNETT.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING CLOWN RED SKELTON 6AA CLOWNS CLOWN CAROL BURNETT.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING CLOWN RED SKELTON 5AA CLOWNS CLOWN CAROL BURNETT.jpg AA EBAY NEW A ART PAINTING CLOWN RED SKELTON 7AA CLOWNS CLOWN CAROL BURNETT.jpg

Christmasjoy and cxgirl like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

In the first pic, with all 3, the one on the right looks to me like Burnett herself in clown makeup.
    Edit: Note the nail polish.

judy and Christmasjoy like this.
  3. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

They are likely lithographic reproductions of original Red Skelton paintings. As such, his painted signature (and date) will appear in the reproductions as well. What is unclear is whether the added "signatures" are in Skeltons own hand.

4. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Wow!!!! They are ALL SO cool!!!!! And I agree that the one on the right does have a Carol Burnett look to it!!!!

5. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

That is supposed to be Carol Burnett -- it's titled 'Clown's Clown' -- and a quick internet search is likely to answer your questions. Lots of information out there. Including the fact that he depicted famous actors as clowns so the others should be identifiable as well.

Debora

Christmasjoy and komokwa like this.
  6. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Yes I said it was her in the beginning - but I see I didn't say which one was her.
    So should I remove them to check signatures?
    Thanks

7. Thrifster

Thrifster Well-Known Member

I would not remove them. I would get a 10x Loop and look at the signatures under a bright light to check for dots in the signatures.

8. Mark London

Mark London Well-Known Member

Even if these are from the original "limited" edition of 5000 lithographic reproductions, the likelihood of poor Mr. Skelton hand signing 5000 sheets in one sitting is pretty slim. I'm guessing that the signatures where outsourced. This might also explain why the signature on the prints is so different from the signature on the source painting.

komokwa and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted