#3 green and brown glazed pottery Asian water dropper?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by vintagerobin, Mar 20, 2015.

1. vintagerobin

vintagerobin Well-Known Member

This was sold as a puzzle jug but I don't think this would be much of a puzzle. I think it's a water dropper for calligraphy ink. What do you think? Any other insights you can offer would be great. :cool:

DSC_5257.JPG DSC_5258.JPG DSC_5259.JPG

2. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Dimensions?

Does that second opening on the side go through to the same reservoir as the one on top?

3. vintagerobin

4 1/2" by 4" and 3 1/2" tall.

I put water in the top and it came out of the side opening.

4. vintagerobin

It's kind of big for a water dropper because it really fills the hand and my thumb is just large enough to block the top hole. That's why I'm not sure.

5. Bakersgma

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. Too big and a rather awkward shape. I don't think I've ever seen one with 2 openings - not that they might not exist.

If I saw it in front of me, I would think first of a modern studio pottery vase.

6. vintagerobin

Asian water droppers do have 2 holes. You cover one with your thumb to control the flow from the other.

7. Bakersgma

Really. Well, you learn something new every day. Maybe I just haven't looked closely enough. Plus it's been close to 30 years since I was collecting ink boxes and brush washers. My, how time flies!

8. vintagerobin

I only know from watching one of the experts on BBC Antiques Roadshow demonstrate how one works. I wouldn't have known water droppers existed without that show.

9. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

& I wouldn't know what one even looked like ....without you VR.....so....thanks for paying it forward !

Instant Karma !

Draft saved Draft deleted