3 glass vase Trying to ID are they West Virginia Blenko Art Glass vases

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Mugzinnys, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Mugzinnys

Mugzinnys Well-Known Member

s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600.jpg s-l1600 (2).jpg 20180610_122950.jpg 20180610_123003.jpg 20180610_123053.jpg 20180610_152751.jpg 20180610_152808.jpg 20180610_152831.jpg 20180610_152840.jpg 2 blue with white ovals 8 1/2" tall

3 tall amarilla vase broken stopper 16 1/2" tall

1 purple ruffled vase 5 1/2" X 9"

Do anyone regconize the maker of these vases?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  2. UncleChuckTX

UncleChuckTX Well-Known Member

I think the first one might be Blenko #947, called a Pinched-Crown Vase. It was made in two sizes, and yours should be the larger 947L version. The color is most likely their Amethyst. You can see it starting with the 1951 catalog at this site:

http://www.blenkoproject.org/

I would guess China / Asia for the purple & white one.

And the last one is a decanter with its broken stopper stuck in the neck. It could be Blenko, but I'd guess it's one of the other WV companies such as Pilgrim or Rainbow.

aaroncab likes this.
  3. Mugzinnys

Thanks UncleChuckTX for the insight and the link

4. Mugzinnys

5. UncleChuckTX

6. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

About all I can add is that the crackle glass piece is quite a bit taller than anything I've seen produced by Rainbow or Pilgrim. Regardless, that broken stopper would be a deal breaker for me.
    Don

7. Mugzinnys

Okay good nightI will do some further researh tomorrow on the decanter thanks

8. Mugzinnys

What are the odds of someone with a stopper and no decanter Don. 0 % it would make a great marriage thou you never know never say never

9. dgbjwc

dgbjwc Well-Known Member

To be honest, I wouldn't object to a marriage. It's the thought of trying to get what's left of the current stopper out that gives me pause.
    Don

10. Mugzinnys

That thought did cross my mind and it could be a whoops broke the dam thing or that was easier than I thought. The base could be an attractive piece without the stopper a overly large flower or reed vase no not reallymabe an a stand alone piece

dgbjwc likes this.
  11. UncleChuckTX

Is the stopper stuck inside the neck? If not, can you post a profile pic of what is left?

12. UncleChuckTX

Now that I've thought about it, I realize that the Blenko 920 decanters are catalogued by their total height. My brain was mis-remembering that the catalog-stated sizes were the bottle height only (minus stopper). I have a 920S in my collection, and I just measured its total height as 10.75" - just a bit taller than spec.

It's possible yours is a 920L. The bottle only would be in the 16.5-inch range, based on the given size of the regular 920 being listed as the same.

The proportions of yours still don't quite match for me. But it could be the angle of your photo, or the missing stopper is throwing me off.

920.jpg

13. Mugzinnys

The one that I have measure 16 1/2" without the stopper That is what I wrote down I will measure it again this evening. Good morning all

14. George Nesmith

George Nesmith Well-Known Member

Stoppers are available but it may take some looking.

15. Mugzinnys

Yeah george I imagine that a stopper could be found, but I will leave that to new owner of this decanter. I will not be at the site were it is located until later tomorrow perhaps. the first thing I am going to do is turn it upside down and pray that it just falls out. I will get a better image of the stopper that is left UncleChuckTX. I have no long term interest in the decanter and want to unload it to someone who appreciates West Virginia Glass UncleChuckTX, Don, George. I was born in Welch West Virginia and of all the states in the Union I love West Virginia the Best.

16. msgood2shoe

msgood2shoe Well-Known Member

The shape of the decanter with broken stopper says Blenko to me. Too bad about the stopper. I picked a complete decanter at a resale shop a few years ago for $25. At first, I thought maybe the shop owner didn't know what he had, but it had the Blenko label on it.

Mugzinnys and judy like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted