Featured 3 Bohemian Beakers/Goblets/Tumblers/Chalices

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by R. Antonis, Jan 27, 2018.

1. R. Antonis

R. Antonis Well-Known Member

Hi everybody!

I'm having a hard time dating these 3 bohemian beakers.
    First off all I'm not sure whether to call this bohemian glass or crystal.

The 2 bigger ones are pretty much identical, with white glass on the inside,
    which goes all the way down to the foot of the glass.

The smaller glass is still quite large, and wider.

All 3 have a star on the bottom.

The 2 bigger glasses have a opening in the inside of the foot.
    Don't know how to explain this in English, but pouring drink in it, the drink would go all the way down to the bottom, and not as I expected, only in the top part of the glass.

I hope somebody can help me out on this one ;)

Thanks!!!
    20180127_151351_resized.jpg 20180127_151407_resized.jpg 20180127_150656_resized.jpg 20180127_150729_resized.jpg 20180127_150746_resized.jpg 20180127_150804_resized.jpg 20180127_150846_resized.jpg 20180127_150931_resized.jpg 20180127_150953_resized.jpg

2. R. Antonis

3. R. Antonis

4. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

I understood what you meant when you said liquid goes all the way to the bottom. When I have had that style glass in crystal, I have called it 'continuous bubble"...I think they are meant for sparkling wines and although I can't explain the dynamics or physics? somehow the wine keeps flowing through the base, creating a constant effervescence. I have never seen this feature in bohemian style stemware, but the concept may be the same.

5. R. Antonis

Due to you mentioning the "continuous bubble", I have read an article yesterday which explained how some glasmanufacturers create little imperfections on the inside of the glass with a laser, or some kind of etching tool, especially made for this. The knowledge behind it was something that bubbles are created at "nucleation sites".

6. Sandra

Sandra Well-Known Member

Did you try your hollow stemware with a bubbly wine? It would probably work with a carbonated soft drink also.

R. Antonis and yourturntoloveit like this.
  7. R. Antonis

No I haven't. Have to clean the glass first, but I'm a little too busy. There's some kind of tarnish on the bottom. Might be used as a vase or something

Draft saved Draft deleted