3 baskets info desired

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Lark, Aug 27, 2024.

1. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

IMG_9532.JPG IMG_9533.JPG IMG_9534.JPG IMG_9536.JPG IMG_9537.JPG IMG_9538.JPG IMG_9540.JPG IMG_9542.JPG IMG_9543.JPG I have three baskets I would like to have identified and approximate age. I would like to put them up for sale . the first one I think is from Tenancingo, Mexico but not certain. 8"x 3". the second is 8" high x 3" . It feels like pine needles- very slick almost waxy.. The third hour glass one is 7" high by 8 across opening. Thank you in advance for any information. I live In Missouri but picked them up at sales in California.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2024
    Any Jewelry and johnnycb09 like this.
  2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

The first one is a type made by Tonga weavers in Zambia and Zimbabwe. They have been sold through the Tonga Craft Center in the town of Binga in Zimbabwe, so they are often referred to as Tonga Binga baskets. They are fairly recent imports.

https://africadirect.com/search?type=product&options[prefix]=last&q=Tonga &filter.p.product_type=

The second one looks like it is made from esparto grass, a tough, shiny grass native to North Africa and the Iberian peninsula (Spain and Portugal), where it is frequently used for basketry.

The third one was made by a Ye'kuana weaver, in Amazonian Venezuela. It is a miniature version of a form that was originally used as a burden basket.

"The shape is based on a traditional woman’s burden basket that is much larger and stronger and is carried on her back with a strap across the forehead, and thus follows the contour of the back. Encouraged by missionaries over 50 year ago, Ye’kwana women began to transform their burden basket to a finer more delicate version for sale to tourists. They added colors, symbols and figures that are part of Ye’kwana legend . This basket features the monkey, a powerful Ye’kwana symbol. The baskets today are favorites in the US home decor market, and Ye’kwana women attend invitational folk art festivals, and participate in business development workshops. Current conditions in Venezuela threaten the survival of basket project, and the traditional lifestyle of these indigenous people."
    https://www.migadeals.com/detail/_iaksvuvzrvvussy.html

https://www.arte-amazonia.com/shop/amazon-baskets/ye-kuana-baskets/

Any Jewelry, Houseful, mirana and 5 others like this.
  3. Potteryplease

Potteryplease Well-Known Member

I'm gonna go ahead and say 'Best Answer' for @2manybooks.

Any Jewelry, 2manybooks and Bronwen like this.
  4. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Thank you so much 2manybooks. I was not even close! Baskets are not in my knowledge base.

Any Jewelry and Potteryplease like this.
  5. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Thank you 2manybooks!

2manybooks likes this.
  6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

7. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

15............ luv to see them !!!!!