3 Antique vintage plates: an Old Wm Adams plus 2 more

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by alynnfin, Jun 27, 2021.

1. alynnfin

alynnfin Well-Known Member

I have three plates that I would love help with: the age of the Wm Adams & is it hand painted, anything about the one that looks Pennsylvania Dutch and is hand painted and the same about the other hand painted flora one. I know the Adams isn't 1750 but it sure looks hand painted under the glaze. It sure looks old. Any thoughts as to the age and if it actually could be hand painted under the glaze? The one with the roses also looks old and is hand painted but with no marking at all. Then there is the, I believe hand painted floral one, with with 3F and it kind of looks like 3 palm leaves leaning to the left. That is the sum of the information I have gleaned from them. Thank you for any information at all. C33888CE-E780-4792-BBE6-D8E356879B7E.jpeg C7DFB29A-285D-40E0-8575-0BA82F23FDF3.jpeg IMG_0022.JPG IMG_0023.JPG IMG_0025.JPG IMG_0021.JPG IMG_0019.JPG IMG_0018.JPG IMG_0020.JPG

2. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

3. alynnfin

moreotherstuff and Houseful like this.
  4. Houseful

Houseful Well-Known Member

5. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Your second plate looks like a variation of Adams rose pattern though there is a Kings rose and Queens rose you might check also.

i need help likes this.
  6. wiscbirddog

wiscbirddog Well-Known Member

Pretty sure your 3rd plate is decal work. Examine with loupe and look for dots and defined edges.

DizzyDaff and i need help like this.
  7. alynnfin

8. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I doubt that it is. Much more likely as a reproduction that it was transfer ware.

The second plate (the one you're calling Pennsylvania Dutch?) is a style I have seen attributed to both Wales and Belgium. Sometimes called "spongeware."

9. alynnfin

Thank you say-it-slowly. The rose in the second plate does look like the Adams or Staffordshire style rose, but not the exact pattern. Now that I hold it, it also doesn't feel like it is porcelain. It is made of a softer airy material. I do not know how to describe it.
    Wiscbirddog there are no dots in any of them with the jeweler's loupe. The impressed mark on the last plate kind of reminds me of the Arita mark, but not exactly.
    Yes Bakersgma the second plate more resembles the Welsh and Belgium plates. I do not know how you do it. I sit for hours and feel I find nothing. However the fact that I could recall the Arita mark, gives me faith I'll learn.
    I am emptying my basement of all the estate and thrift shop finds as my children do not like "old stuff". Trust me, if you saw my basement, it is a monumental task. Thank you all.
    The shape of the last two remind me of the French KG Luneville Strasbourg Faience plates.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
    DizzyDaff likes this.
  10. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I can't read that registry number, what is it?

11. say_it_slowly

On the blue and white example above the Rd is 623294 so registered 1913 if it has the same number. The example on The Potteries shows England.

http://www.thepotteries.org/mark/a/adams2.html
    upload_2021-6-28_13-49-18.png
    printed markc1913+

the registration number 623294 dates from 1913

12. alynnfin

3F

13. alynnfin

Fabulous information. I gave the wrong number. I can't make out exactly the numbers, but it looks to be the 623294. Thank you that is great 1913. I'll check out thepotteries link too. I'm sure it will be very helpful.

14. say_it_slowly

15. alynnfin

16. alynnfin

17. say_it_slowly

18. alynnfin

I just sent a message to the seller of the Limbach plate asking if he/she would tell me where they found any information about it. They answered and said they did not remember as the plate had been for sale for 4 years. Not a good sign but the fact I can't even find the name in Google is surprising.

DizzyDaff likes this.
  19. say_it_slowly

Here is a little on Limbach from Rontgen's book of marks. Only the early Greiner marks are a little similar in his book but not too close.
    IMG_20210628_163533.jpg

DizzyDaff likes this.
  20. alynnfin

So do you think it is a Limbach Greiner plate, I can't see the marks, but I trust you since you could find this. If I get murdered, will you investigate the case? LOL

DizzyDaff likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted