Featured 28" tall mystery figural man on horse and sea serpent. Any idea on who these characters are?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by sunday silence, Feb 9, 2024.

1. sunday silence

sunday silence Well-Known Member

from recent auction. Seller says maybe it says "PLE" on the mark. I dunno 4.jpg 2.jpg 5.jpg 1.jpg 3.jpg

2. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Or St. George and the dragon. Here's the same subject (but different treatment) in 'The Dragon Slayer' by Franz von Stück.

Debora

Franz von Stuck's THE DRAGON SLAYER.jpg

4. 2manybooks

Technically, Perseus's horse Pegasus should have wings. But perhaps the artist thought that might be a little over the top. ;)

stracci and wlwhittier like this.
  5. 2manybooks

On the other hand, St. George's dragons are usually depicted with wings. No wings anywhere here. But it might be his traditional lance stuck in the beast's mouth.

A little ambiguous, but any excuse for a naked lady in distress........

Figtree3, Finnclouds, stracci and 2 others like this.
  6. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Totally 'over the top' Renaissance/Baroque homage,it doesn't feel very old to me-but I could be totally wrong.IMHO
    Newer 'Over the Top' (50's-70's) can be a good thing-look at all the Hollywood Regency s*** people in Vegas & Florida are paying a fortune for.
    Could be in the manner of Eugenio Pattarino.
    Here's another guess-
    https://www.liveauctioneers.com/item/170368854_large-porcelain-figural-group

7. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

The whole dang thing is over-the-top, to me...what's a pair of wings, more or less?

Figtree3, johnnycb09 and stracci like this.
  8. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I don't believe this to be very old at all. Please show a photo of the bottom of the piece.

johnnycb09 and wlwhittier like this.
  9. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

Fantastic!
    I wanna be rescued from a dragon by a sword wielding glam guy!
    Hopefully I won't be naked when it happens.

komokwa, Figtree3, bercrystal and 6 others like this.
  10. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

Siegfried & Brunhilde & Fáfnir?

Figtree3, johnnycb09 and wlwhittier like this.
  11. wlwhittier

Why are naked women shown in mythical scenes of battle, destruction an' death?

johnnycb09 and lvetterli like this.
  12. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Was Brunhilde anywhere near when Siegfried killed Fafnir?:confused:

johnnycb09 and Bronwen like this.
  13. stracci

stracci Well-Known Member

We silly women always strip down when our lives are threatened.:hilarious:

14. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Do it all the time. My first reaction before yelling "Help!"

Debora

15. bluumz

bluumz Quite Busy

One can tell all these stories were written by men! :rolleyes::hilarious:

(That said, there's a fair amount of neked men in a lot of the stories/depictions, as well! :))

Last edited: Feb 9, 2024
  16. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

My first reaction was Perseus & Andromeda because she sure looks like a maiden in need of rescuing. But the crown & horse were out of place.

I have to go with George & his dragon (does not require wings), even though his interaction with the rescued maiden is a bit steamy. I see in Debora's post that this is not out of character.

Pegasus is not the horse of Perseus. Pegasus only comes into being when Perseus beheads Medusa. Perseus gives the horse to Athena, who is the first to tame Pegasus. She then gives the winged horse to the Muses to care for. He is ridden by Bellerophon to slay the Chimaera. Perseus got around on the winged sandals lent to him by Hermes.

17. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Something about it says Italy to me. I love it !

Bronwen likes this.
  18. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
  19. wlwhittier

You must have studied mythology to the exclusion of other, more mundane subjects, Bronwen...yet you are deep in many others!
    Amazing to me, your detailed familiarity with the lives of these iconic (an' the obscure ones, too) folks from the world before history. My guess puts you in high classical education, as teacher an' guide.

Figtree3, bercrystal and Bronwen like this.
  20. Marote

Marote Well-Known Member

My St. George ... IMG_2026.JPG
    no naked lady :(

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted