22" Kangxi marked hexagonal vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by katherinebuda, Jan 10, 2024.

1. katherinebuda

katherinebuda Member

Anyone can give me age of piece? 22" tall hexagonal vase with Chinese Folk painted panels. Has Kangxi marks on neck

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2024
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

this is not a site for values, but members will make suggestions where to look for them..:happy:

3. katherinebuda

katherinebuda Member

OK thanks. Do you know anything about this piece

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I don't , but given time , several members will be along who do !!!:happy::happy:;)

we're not all here , all the time .....but they'll show up in short order !:)

5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Those characters on the side are likely a poem and are not marks that would identify the maker. We do have a member or two who might be able to translate.

Looks relatively modern.

Any Jewelry, 15Stiftgasse and komokwa like this.
  6. katherinebuda

katherinebuda Member

Yes the characters are indeed a poem according to my Google lens search. It talks about going fishing at a certain lake at a certain town. Interesting stuff.

7. gckimm

gckimm Active Member

The theme of the vase decoration is long life. The figure in the first photo is the God of Long Life (Shouxing); the four characters above him say "long life equal to heaven." The giant peach that he appears to be holding is one of the magic peaches that bestow eternal life to those who eat them. The peaches are grown in the garden of the Queen Mother of the West (Xiwangmu).

The poem on the side follows this mythological theme and mentions the residence of the Queen Mother, a place called the Jade Lake, located on Kunlun Mountain.

There is a Kangxi mark on the neck but from the crudeness of the decoration, including the calligraphy, I would guess that the vase was made long after that time--perhaps mid-20th century or later?

8. Ce BCA

Ce BCA Well-Known Member

They have been making reproductions of these for a long time, but the very deliberate 'ageing' of the base isn't something they tend to bother with now. So it's likely somewhere between 1960 and 2000.

9. Jose Deleon

Jose Deleon Active Member

Agree

Draft saved Draft deleted