Featured 2 SMALL GLOBE DESK CLOCKS?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Aquitaine, Jun 7, 2017.

1. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

While visiting my favorite place in the world, I stopped in to the local "junk/treasure" shop to get pictures (if she'd let me) of these two small desk clocks!! She's had them for at least a year or two, and she says they run.....I believe @afantiques is the "clock" man, but whoever can give any input on them, I would be delighted to hear it!!! Is her price fair, high or what??? PLENTY of people do stop in to her place....just an FYI.....I only have the two pictures and it was impossible to get either without some sort of reflections! They both have a flat spot on the bottom towards the back so they will 'sit up'!! THANKS as always!!!!
    Sue

Edit.....they're about 2 1/2" +/- diameter.....sorry, forgot that bit......

DeskClocks1.jpg
    DeskClocks2 copy.jpg

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  2. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

Free then? ;)
    Beat her down in price I say. ;)

Aquitaine and Joshua Brown like this.
  3. Kronos

Kronos Well-Known Member

Looks like normal retail prices. Last few on ebay sold for $60-100. Junk unmarked movement and a put together piece (not official Omega) according to a poster on another forum.

Joshua Brown and KingofThings like this.
  4. KingofThings

KingofThings 'Illiteracy is a terrible thing to waist' - MHH

????????????
    WHAT prices???? :wideyed::wacky:
    ~
    (I just saw that they were attached.) ;)

Joshua Brown likes this.
  5. Aquitaine

I'm not interested for ME.....but I AM curious....I did think they were pretty neat, but if they each aren't even real OMEGA.....yeesh!!!

6. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Modern and probably Chinese. For some reason the Chinese are
    mad about sweep centre seconds hands, often if not usually in red.
    It reminds me of a short science fiction story where the Earth was invaded secretly by aliens. They wondered why it was so easy to round them all up, turns out they were all disguised as perfectly proportioned 3 foot high real estate agents

Maybe the Chinese will keep wondering why their knock-offs are spottable across the room, as they stick on the red sweep seconds hands. Try Alibaba or some other Chinese wholesale source to get a wholesale price, I doubt if it is more than $30 a pop.
    The one on the left has a subsidiary seconds dial as well as a sweep seconds.

Historically they have always had a love of centre seconds hands, watches and clocks made in the west to trade with China in the 19th C. were always made with centre seconds hands which must have been due to local demand as they were not typical in the west unless they served a special function.

7. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Very cute,very modern and those prices are VERY ambitious !

8. Aquitaine

Well, THANK YOU ALL, and AF in particular for your very educational and enlightening information!!!! Learn something new MOST days, I do!!!!:joyful::joyful::joyful:

EDIT: Just out of curiosity....do these types of magnifying clocks have a specific name?????? Thanks again!!!

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  9. Michael Sokoloff

Michael Sokoloff New Member

Quick pic of an original J. E. Caldwell, Philadelphia ball clock...
    [​IMG]

Aquitaine, cxgirl and KingofThings like this.
  10. Aquitaine

That's NICE!!! Again, thanks, ALL!!!!

KingofThings likes this.
  11. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5-inch-Wo...S-GLASS-pocket-watch-BALL-clock-/371405325255

Draft saved Draft deleted