2 similar hand decorated antique plates - any ideas of age & origin?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by gimbler-dave, Jul 17, 2015.

1. gimbler-dave

gimbler-dave Well-Known Member

We are researching these 2 similar antique plates and I wonder if anyone can help with dating them and/or suggest where they were manufactured. Neither is marked. Both look hand decorated.

Plate 1 is 8-7/16 inches in diameter and weighs 412 grams. It has 6 equally spaced notches around the rim, very shallow, where gilding around the rim has survived. All of the decorations are on the surface of the glaze.

Plate 2 is 8-5/16 inches in diameter and weighs 342 grams. It does not have any notches.

Thanks in advance! ... Dave
    db_plates_1.JPG
    db_plates_2.JPG
    db_plates_3.JPG
    db_plates_4.JPG
    db_plates_5.JPG

2. trip98

trip98 Well-Known Member

I like them. Definitely Asian inspired. Color combination though I think they maybe European like Gaudy Welch or Dutch-although I very little experience with that type of ware.

3. gimbler-dave

Thank you trip98. I looked at both Gaudy Welch and Dutch items via google image search and see the similarity.

4. gimbler-dave

Draft saved Draft deleted