2-Prong Plug in the US & Mfg. Date

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by John R, Jan 24, 2024.

1. John R

John R Member

Hi everybody,

I think I should be able to better estimate the era of electrical items intended for the US market by looking at its two-prong plug.

So here are a few questions about 2-prong plug in the US:
    1. Around what year did two-prong outlets with same-sized prongs cease to be made? (i.e., if the prongs on a two-prong plug are the same size, it was probably made before ___.)
    2. Besides identically-sized prongs, what other clues are good for collectors/dealers to know?
    3. Are there any good websites that expand on this?
    -----------------------------
    Update:
    The first question is my most pressing issue. I picked up a lamp that I think might be a very good example of Mid-Century Modern. I would like to make a better estimate of its date based on the fact that the plug has identically-sized prongs. Based on things I am reading, I think it might be sometime in the 70s for question #1, but I'm not sure.

plug-sm.jpg

Last edited: Jan 24, 2024
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

only items where the plug has not been swapped out !!!;)

toasters plug likely stays original. where as a lamp plug..... u can get those anywhere...for any time..

wlwhittier likes this.
  3. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

A lamp has never needed different size prongs as it has no polarity

The bulb socket may be more help in dating

4. Joe in PA

Joe in PA Well-Known Member

Polarized outlets came into usage around 1962. Devices took longer to adapt, so if it has an original polarized plug is at least 1962. Unpolarized were still used for quite a while after that. The radios/TV's etc with a "hot chassis" started to use them first if I recall correctly.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2024
  5. John R

John R Member

Would anyone venture an educated guess to narrow down "quite a while". :happy: Say just as a random example, how commonly were products being manufactured for the US market in 1978 that had unpolarized two-prong outlets?

6. komokwa

can we see the lamp ?

Debora likes this.
  7. komokwa

John R likes this.
  8. komokwa

John R likes this.
  9. komokwa

maybe an electrical vintage parts site ....could be helpful..;)

Draft saved Draft deleted