Featured 2 Colored Glass Tiles, UnMarked; Are They 'Daylights'?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by wlwhittier, Jul 9, 2023.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

The blue one is 5 1/2" X ~5 3/16", an' maybe 5/16" to 3/8" thick near the center. The pattern is all on the side facing you inna 1st pic; it's flat onna backside, 2nd pic.

The purple one is ~4" X ~4", ~1/4" thick. The decorative pattern, which shows best in the 5th pic, is facing you in the 4th pic; the 'lens' is on the backside, pic 5 & 6. Neither tile is UV reactive.

On a sailboat, I think the purple one would be called a deck light, or something similar...it would be maybe 3/4" thick, though, to allow plenty of strength. The 'lens' is a series of saw-tooth ridges having the most vertical facet toward my hand, on the left...so apparently meant to direct light in a specific direction.

I've had them both for perhaps 25 years...they came together, with a third that sadly got broken almost immediately...sigh.

I can imagine the blue one incorporated in a leaded or copper-foil panel, as simply decorative. But the other, with that saw-tooth lens...is a puzzle. I've never seen any other like it, for sale or installed architecturally. I haven't tried to research it, 'cause I don't know what to call it. What may be the name of the Celtic(?) pattern?
    Can any of you glassies shed some 'light' on either of them?
    Thanks for lookin'!

5706DCF1-E41F-446B-B0F1-6EC9477A0B27_1_201_a.jpeg A5D3CE20-AC6D-47A5-9459-53E915894C6A_1_201_a.jpeg AB75C9D5-E21E-4BFB-BAC6-B76730AC4E7D_4_5005_c.jpeg 62553BA3-F737-4912-9A0C-05B694C0F235_1_201_a.jpeg 4447FCC0-29A6-4358-86A5-BAA1C7BA8CFB_1_201_a.jpeg B19D8C43-127E-40E0-B01B-2619BF6ED0EE_4_5005_c.jpeg

rish, Chinoiserie, Aquitaine and 2 others like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

they're very nice !!

Chinoiserie and wlwhittier like this.
  3. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

Could the second one be a Fresnel lens?
    Fresnel lens
    A Fresnel lens is a type of composite compact lens which reduces the amount of material required compared to a conventional lens by dividing the lens into a set of concentric annular sections.Wikipedia

Chinoiserie likes this.
  4. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Your second is a Luxfer tile designed by Frank Lloyd Wright. It is possible that there are reproductions but, having owned it for so long, your's is likely original. The purple color is unusual but could be a result of UV exposure over time.

5. wlwhittier

Thanks, Brad...I'll dig deeply into that nugget, be sure!

Chinoiserie likes this.
  6. wlwhittier

I thought of that, Lark...but then thought the straight-line vs concentric aspect would have a different technical descriptor. After I do the research, perhaps I'll have to agree that it is indeed a Fresnel lens. Thanks!

Chinoiserie likes this.
  7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Chinoiserie, Houseful and wlwhittier like this.
  8. wlwhittier

Debora, you've hit the nail squarely onna head, an' done me a major service. That descriptor alone will bring many lookers to my eBay listing...Thank you sincerely!

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I am always delighted to be of help on this board. Thank you for your kind words.

Debora

Chinoiserie, komokwa and wlwhittier like this.
  10. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Chinoiserie and wlwhittier like this.
  11. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

12. wlwhittier

I'll try to get a better shot of that 'Celtic' design face, an' show it here.

Chinoiserie likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted