Featured 2 Brooches, what do we think

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by RachelW, May 29, 2024.

1. RachelW

RachelW Well-Known Member

Hello all! Got two bits over the weekend, wanted to get your thoughts on these before I write down their details in my catalog notebook.

This spoke to me from a bowl at a car boot sale. I'm sure this isn't a unique as I see Marys etc a lot but who was Eva? Just seemed so personal I had to have it. Its teeninsy, max a couple of centimeters. Got it for the grand total of 50c. Is this a brooch for the collar like where a cameo would go, or is this perhaps a pin for some layer of undergarment? Generally I go with if the pin is raised rather than straight its older, but is this the case with this one? I would want to put it around the same time as my mini painting brooch 1860s, but not sure if thats correct. I've not tested for silver, seems like the hardware is silver but the letters arent? Its not a replacement front to my eyes.
    IMG_20240529_161733.jpg IMG_20240529_161800.jpg

This was an ebay purchase. I'm really enjoying these seed pearl pieces, they're always sweet. Jury's out on the middle pearl, I'm thinking its real but it also comes off so need to attach it again. This is marked silver, boars head (800, 183:cool:. We have the raised pin, but the construction/pin length/design makes me want to say c1900?

IMG_20240529_161623.jpg IMG_20240529_161612.jpg IMG_20240529_161635.jpg

Of course as always thank you all <3​

2. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

I love the little star/pinwheel brooches! There are so many variations! I only have one but I want more. :pompous: Definitely around 1900.

This is a page from the 1901 or 02(?) Daniel Low catalog kindly posted by Morning Glory Antiques

low1.jpg

3. RachelW

I love any of these 'embeded' set pieces! Those are all lovely, thanks for sharing! That crown is fabulous.

This one looks strikingly similar! 1900 it is then :D
    upload_2024-5-29_19-49-31.png

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

If you like Eva, check out American "boardwalk" pins. They're made of mainly square wire, twisted to spell out a name, Mother, or some such. Most are gold-filled because they were meant to be cheap and cheerful. They are however cool and as the name indicates sold at seaside resorts, mostly as tourist gifts or souvenirs.

5. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

What a great catalog page! :) Guessing, like others I found several I wouldn't mind owning!

Your 2nd pin is very nice, RachelW. Wondering if it had a different center stone at one time? It's a fabulous looking pin either way, and you could put just about anything in the center if you ever wanted to change out that pearl. I like how the smaller pearls on the edges are graduated. A really attractive piece.

6. RachelW

Yeah I've seen loads of Marys Mothers and Babys lol! Never seen an Eva before though, not yet anyway haha.

Thanks! I got it for 17 including postage, so Im not too annoyed. Its a very nice piece for the collection!

Figtree3 and mirana like this.
  7. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

Nice score!! I'm very jealous lol. :D

RachelW likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted