2 Asian Vases: Multi Billions or Just Multi Pennies?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by vitry-le-francois, Oct 9, 2015.

1. vitry-le-francois

vitry-le-francois Well-Known Member

These two Asian style vases came from the estate of an Air Force Colonel who was stationed in Korea during the late 1950's and early 60's. He brought back both of these items so they at least date from that time period. The smaller peacock vase looks brass that has been dyed to resemble bronze. It measures about 12 inches tall. The other vase is almost 24 inches tall and made of metal of some sort. Any idea on when/where/why and who would be appreciated!

asian7.jpg asian7.jpg asian2.jpg bronze7.jpg bronze3.jpg bronze8.jpg bronze1.jpg

Attached Files:

2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I don't know about the vases, but I once bought 3 Northwest Coast Indian carvings from an Air Force Major in Alaska, brought back from the Pacific Theater in the 60's........of course they were Indonesian fakes......so.....yours may or may not be all that.

3. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

They certainly look authentic to me. I think they are quite nice. You are wise to get a few sets of eyes on these.

4. TheOLdGuy

TheOLdGuy Well-Known Member

Are the peacock and flowers painted on or made of capiz or other type shells? On my monitor they have that shiny, multi color reflection, but can't tell if three dimensional.

5. vitry-le-francois

Yes, they are inlaid with what looks like shell or MOP.

6. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Regarding #1... my ol' man's first wife bought this lamp from Neiman's in about 1980...
    Not sure it relates, but looks kinda similar.

Attached Files:

• lamp.jpg
      lamp.jpg
      File size:
      347.1 KB
      Views:
  7. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

They are both nice decorative items. Both IMO were made during 20th C. Shiny one is the better-crafted of the two. Dull one shows a lot of sloppy work such as poorly-applied handles just for starters. The pair are probably worth what you paid for them as long as it didn't exceed two figures. Neither one would be considered collectible IMO.

8. TheOLdGuy

TheOLdGuy Well-Known Member

Thanks. I'm going to leave you to the experts. Will check back for results.

If at a garage sale they had the same price I'd take the peacock because I like it, and pass on the one that looks as though it has been buried for a few 100 years.

Then go back a half hour later and be very unhappy because someone bought the old, dirty, dented one.

Best of luck with both.

9. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

What do you think about my lamp above... do you think I am wrong about the Neiman's story? That's just what my ol' man told me!! :wideyed:

10. springfld.arsenal

springfld.arsenal Store: http://www.springfieldarsenal.net/

Nothing implausible there. Btw the one on the lamp is same style as OP,s, a slight variation, but better craftsmanship/condition.

11. vitry-le-francois

Where would the lamp wire go? This has no holes in it.

12. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Thank you... then I'll keep the lamp. AND my ol' man.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  13. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Loro, is your lamp base 24" inches tall? That first piece is fairly large at two feet tall (did I get that number correct, Vitry?)

14. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

It's about 16 inches including the base and top parts. About 12 without the "extras".

15. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

new or not....the 2nd one is lovely !!

16. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

The dirty one is begging for a good vinegar soak to get the green off the base. It looks like Chinese brass and it's begging to be cleaned up a bit. No clue on the second one.

17. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

evelyb, would you please take a look at my lamp, posted above?

18. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

I think the second is Japanese and a very nice thing. The brass one looks late 19th to early 20th C Chinese.

19. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Nice lamp. I'm not seeing any green on that, Loco, so I'd leave bad enough alone. The enamel is fired on, so polishing the brass ought not to hurt it, but... you never know, and I'm not sure what the original surface was supposed to look like. Green on copper is patina, and ends up being a protective coating. Green on brass is corrosion and needs to come off.

GaleriaGila likes this.
  20. GaleriaGila

GaleriaGila Hola, y'all!

Draft saved Draft deleted