19th Century Victorian Sled

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Vern, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Vern

Vern Active Member

I recognize the style. It is very similar to the decorative children's sleds you sometimes see from the same time period.

This one is kind of an anomaly. First, it is 70in long. It does have initials painted on it, like some children's versions. The iron or steel runners are exceptionally robust. They are round and about the diameter of a nickel. Because of this and the sheer size of the sled it is very heavy. I don't believe a child could use it. Maybe several children but that seems doubtful, too.

I've had it suggested to me that it may be a cargo sled. In my opinion it looks too recreational like it is designed to ride; handrails, detailed pinstripe painting for show, personal initials, and a narrow body with nowhere to tie anything down.

Could this be an adult sled from the same period? Maybe a racing sled? Any sled experts out there?

Thanks for looking.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

That much upturn in the front is for trail use. The narrowness indicates brush country.

Vern likes this.
  3. Vern

Vern Active Member

Agreed, Terry.

I can't find another like it, save for the tiny children's sleds.

Was this one for adult recreation, multiple children, or cargo? The initials in the photo are E.W.C.

It almost makes me think it was for some type of early luge. It is very heavy duty but too ornate and narrow for cargo. I don't know.

4. Vern

Vern Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted