Featured 19th Century British Box with Hidden Drawer?

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by KikoBlueEyes, Sep 5, 2023.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

This is the third box of the four that I bought from the same donation. I've showed you all the best, the tea caddy and the stationary box. This simpler one is a mystery, as to its purpose, but I think the donator must have collected 19th century British boxes. Except for the hidden drawer and unusual escutcheon, this box is just a plain rectangle that is 15 inches long, 10 inches wide and 5 inches tall.

I'm thinking the drawer is for paper, but I don't know. The design of the box disguises the drawer, because the lid and the drawer lip are of similar size. The dovetails seem to be handmade. The bottom is unfinished.

Am I guessing correctly? Is this also a 19th century piece and a box for writing materials, etc. - perhaps something for a ship's use? Any thoughts appreciated.

IMG_2785.JPG IMG_2788 (1).JPG IMG_2790 (1).JPG IMG_2792.JPG IMG_2793.JPG IMG_2794 (1).JPG IMG_2795 (1).JPG

2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Despatch box?

3. KikoBlueEyes

Interesting. I saw something like this box called an army traveling desk.

johnnycb09, Bronwen and judy like this.
  4. Lark

Lark Well-Known Member

I would go with the dispatch box. Clean sheets on the bottom and lock the top to keep someone from peeking at what they shouldn't see.

KikoBlueEyes, johnnycb09 and Bronwen like this.
  5. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

If it were a lap desk/writing slope, maybe campaign desk would be another term, the lid & base would be cut at an angle, rather than horizontally, so that when open all the way the 2 parts make sort of a triangle that provides a tilted writing surface by way of 2 panels inside that become a flat support for writing on. Typically they have places for pens & ink bottles, as well as storage for blank sheets.

This is a fancy one. Not all have drawers or hidden compartments, but some do.

upload_2023-9-5_12-15-47.png

https://www.1stdibs.com/furniture/d...UlE4MWPA9ofyIYAAI-RoCaaoQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

6. KikoBlueEyes

I've been researching despatch boxes and all I can find are leather ones. "Despatch boxes were originally used by Members of Parliament to carry documents into the Commons Chamber" according to UK Parliament. I think this is the right track but I can't find anything similar called a despatch box.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  7. KikoBlueEyes

That's the fourth box that I am going to show you, though it is missing most of the interior.

Bronwen likes this.
  8. KikoBlueEyes

9. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

That makes sense. Paints in the upper part and brushes in the drawer. And well used, a painter could take it into the field to work on a landscape.

Bronwen likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted