19th Century American Portrait

Discussion in 'Ephemera and Photographs' started by Thehunter123, Mar 7, 2024.

1. Thehunter123

Thehunter123 New Member

Hey yall! I was fortunate enough to pick up this old portrait from a local antique store in NC today. Can anyone help with approximate age given the style of frame and the clothing worn by the lady pictured? There was one nail in the back of the frame that appears to be a very old square, A-cut style nail. Thanks in advance for your help!

Attached Files:

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Would you be kind enough to reshoot her on a plain background from straight on? And a photograph of the back please. She looks 1860s-ish but that's partially determined by the width of her skirt and it's distorted in your photograph. The frame doesn't appear to be that old to my eye.

Debora

IMG_2557.jpeg

mirana and komokwa like this.
  3. Thehunter123

Thehunter123 New Member

Thanks for your help Debora! Hopefully this helps. The back of the frame is pictured here as well. Do you think this may possibly be a reframe?

Attached Files:

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the nail looks like a furniture tack...
    too bad about the damage to the frame....... trying to look like tiger maple.....but likely just a lamination..
    It's so hard to draw hands.....:(

mirana likes this.
  5. komokwa

maybe a talented amateur for the lady,

is the glass indeed domed ?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2024
  6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I'm not sure what I'm seeing. When I said "back" I meant with her in it. Everything provides clues to age, including the stock she's printed on. That said... She certainly does look 1860s. That's based on the severity of her hairstyle, the volume of her sleeves and the width of her skirt.

Debora

IMG_2561.jpeg

Bakersgma likes this.
  7. Thehunter123

Thehunter123 New Member

Yes the glass is domed.

komokwa likes this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

And the back was just open?

Debora

9. Thehunter123

Thehunter123 New Member

My apologies. Here is a pic of the back of the photo. It is quite heavy stock.

Attached Files:

komokwa likes this.
  10. komokwa

11. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

That looks like an enhanced photo to me.

12. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

This looks like what was called a crayon portrait or solar enlargement. This web page has a good description of what they are all about... https://restoreoldphotosnow.com/inside-the-crayon-portrait/
    basically, as they wrote, "a weak photograph that is hand embellished with colored pastels or charcoal." ("Weak" in this case means light, or underexposed.) These where extremely common from the mid 1800s through about the 1920s. They were normally enlarged from the original size, as discussed in the link.

We have had several other discussions of these in this forum through the years.

Draft saved Draft deleted