19th C. Folk Art Schoolgirl Sampler-type Purse/Bag?

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by 'Nuff_Said, Sep 12, 2014.

1. 'Nuff_Said

'Nuff_Said Well-Known Member

Is this a 19th C.(?) Folk Art drawstring purse/bag?

This item reminds me of those Folk Art samplers made by schoolgirls in that era.

I tried researching, but found nothing that looks like it besides samplers. The bag was found with a bunch of late-19th C. pin-back buttons inside made by a company in New Jersey. I'm thinking the bag could have been made in Pennsylvania(?)

Your thoughts, if any?

Thank you!

PURSE BAG 001-001.JPG

PURSE BAG 003-001.JPG

PURSE BAG 002-001.JPG

cxgirl and spirit-of-shiloh like this.
  2. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Very whimsical with the two headed owls.

I don't think anybody would argue with you if you described it as you have.

And it's a real labour saver for someone wanting a bag for owl buttons..............

elarnia and spirit-of-shiloh like this.
  3. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

"And it's a real labour saver for someone wanting a bag for owl buttons.............."

....or two heads ;)

4. jackolin

jackolin Well-Known Member

Love it! Probably one of a kind, and will never see another.

5. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
  6. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Do they mean 'owl'? Is it just a cutesy way of saying old, (ole) related to the owl figures. So it's a general button bag, or has this been blindingly obvious to everyone except me?

7. DragonflyWink

I took it as a whimsical pun on 'old buttons' (not that there aren't owl-themed buttons) - but then I don't see any two-headed owls either...

~Cheryl

8. DragonflyWink

Given that the this one and the one on the link appear to have the same shape, fabric and binding, as well as the painted branch, wing and tail colors, it was probably a pre-stamped item. Took a few minutes to look through some old needlework catalogs, didn't find this pattern or even mention of button-bags, but to my eye, it looks very similar to section of a larger owl design from J.F. Ingalls. The first two pics below were from an 1886 catalog of stamping patterns, but they advertised their 'Fancy Work' catalogs at least into the 1910s - the little whisk-broom holder is from an 1887 Ingalls catalog, sold pre-stamped and assembled, looks to have similar binding.

~Cheryl

owls-ingallspatterns-1886.JPG

owls-ingallspatterns-1886a.JPG

ingallswhiskbroom-1887.JPG

9. kentworld

kentworld Well-Known Member

WTG, Cheryl! (I love the bag.)

10. 'Nuff_Said

'Nuff_Said Well-Known Member

Wow, Cheryl, awesome! You nailed it! Thank you!

I do apologize for such a late reply. I almost forgot I posted this thread. Been away for a few days.

My hubby and I finally got some time to ourselves. Dropped the kids off with the grandparents and we went to the Imperil Theatre, NYC to see one of my most favorite musicals of all time..............Les Miserables. AWESOME, AWESOME show!

spirit-of-shiloh likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted