19th C Blue Matte Vase (Ancient Imagery)

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by Nathan Lindop, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Nathan Lindop

Nathan Lindop 1: “?” 2: “!”

saw this at auction today, assumed it would be fairly modern. Looked at the base and saw marks that look 19th century! At this point I begin to like the vase more and more.

But I don’t know who it’s by! The auction is tomorrow so we’ll see how it goes, it’s in a box of other stuff.

Any help with identification would be amazing! Also if it’s something rare that I should buy even without a maker ID tell me that too :happy: .

Sorry about the horrific photos I didn’t think what I was doing when I was there haha xD also had to crop harshly to fit the limit

FE4111EE-0EF3-4638-AB70-446D7486965B.jpeg C98C7F7F-4BFD-422A-BE40-53714CE72878.jpeg 3F753BA8-EEBF-447D-A6F5-585140229DF6.jpeg 7A487A26-A340-4666-8ADD-1B5795012964.jpeg 98EC840A-7FE1-4925-9DF7-303EC36F1DBE.jpeg 1D201B6B-AD9A-447B-99CF-5A3A77883AEC.jpeg

judy and dgbjwc like this.
  2. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

They look rather like Assyrian soldiers/archers of 3 ranks. To my eye, vase looks too unblemished to be very old.

3. Nathan Lindop

They are oldish. If you saw in person the blue isn’t it the best shape xD they are probably late 19th, thats all I can assure myself of.
    They will go for next to nothing in this box I’m sure of it so I might go for them I think they’re cool

judy, silverthwait and Bronwen like this.
  4. say_it_slowly

say_it_slowly The worst prison is a closed heart

Look around at English Prattware / Pratt ware. Don't be confused about many dissimilar items that come up. The word (name) Pratt was used to describe several different types of wares. The one I'm thinking of is second half of the 19th Century.

judy likes this.
  5. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Could be 19th C, mid-1870s - 1880s. That was the time when Heinrich Schliemann was doing his excavations at Hissarlik (Troy from Homer's Iliad) and Mycenae. He discovered treasure at both sites, which is always good for a bit of thematic decorative frenzy. The vase might be German (pure conjecture).

judy likes this.
  6. Nathan Lindop

Building up a good Profile here altogether!!! :pompous:

The vase is later 19th Century Prattware. Assyrian soldiers are on the vase, soldiers and archers of three ranks.

This roughly lines up with the work of Heinrich Schliemann excavations of Hissarlik (modern day Troy)

The cross section of the Assyrian army makes me think it will have been a reflection of the new discoveries.

Some not dissimilar Prattware vases generally having similar designs of ancient two dimensional art :

https://www.invaluable.com/auction-lot/an-english-prattware-vase-f-r-pratt-co-fen-197-c-6c84698a77

https://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/EXCEPTIONA...KISH-SMOKERS-/381000483780?_mwBanner=1&_rdt=1

judy likes this.
  7. Nathan Lindop

Funny how an unmarked vase can become so interesting with research

komokwa and judy like this.
  8. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Could be made by Beardmore. They did a lot of this stuff. Nice example.

judy likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted