1970s Geometric Oil Painting.

Discussion in 'Art' started by Armando0831, Dec 4, 2014.

1. Armando0831

Armando0831 Well-Known Member

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg I just got this about an hr ago at a thrift store. It's colors captivated me and I didn't hesitate to buy it, even though it's unsigned. It's 16 x 20 inches. Upon looking on the back, there's some markings, I can't make out. There's also the numbers 44 in the middle of the painting.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  2. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

Cool piece. I would grab it too.
    Hope you to find a hidden million $ siggy :)

3. Armando0831

I know it's not a Rothko, DANG!! He signed the back on the canvas and dated his.

4. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

I don't know if Rothko did geometric abstraction like this but many big names did(maybe not so symmetric) Again, maybe even Rothko missed to sign some of his art, like a piece that he thought it was not good enough but forgot to destroy. Who knows ...

5. Armando0831

With the number 44 on the reverse, this looks like an identification for the art piece that the artist put on it. A lot of artist did this to indentify their pieces in a series.

It would be nice if it was by a known artist. Like mentioned before, having a piece attributed to an artist takes time.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
  6. Armando0831

The frame is an Anco Bilt Glendale NY.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  7. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Suspect Anco would be surprised to know that they went out of business, I started using Anco Bilt stretchers as a teenager in the '70s, and when I managed an art & drafting supply in the late '80s/early '90s, they were one of my vendors for stretchers, easels and drafting tables. The company was founded in Brooklyn in 1904 as O.F. Anderson Co., moved to Glendale in 1918, name changed to Anco Wood Specialties in 1934, and moved to Callaway, VA in 2002.

~Cheryl

Figtree3 likes this.
  8. Armando0831

I
    I guess they would. That's what I read on a link. Guess that was wrong information. Thanks though for the clarification. So, till when did they keep the Glendale NY on their stretchers? I ask because I've been reading that they produced the Glendale NY stretchers from 1934-1960. What I'm trying to say is, is it very possible that this from a artist from the NY region in the 50s-60s, given the numbering on the verso to identify that painting in a series and the stretcher saying Glendale NY?

Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
  9. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Having read many messages by dragonflywink (Cheryl) through the last few years, both here and on the old eBay boards, I would trust her information over many things I'd read on the Web. :cool:

I like this painting!

Fig

Armando0831 likes this.
  10. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Believe that it would be very difficult to date a painting by commercial stretchers, other than an earliest date possible, I still have several unused stretchers that date back to the '70s-'80s, stuffed way back in the corner of a closet (haven't painted in years). Again, these are commercial stretchers, sold across the country, I bought and sold them in the Orlando area - can't see any reason that the artist would more likely be from the New York area than anywhere else. Can't say that I'm seeing series numbers, but it looks to me like a typical '60s geometric hard-edge acrylic painting - if you want to date the stretchers, Anco can give you an idea: http://www.ancowoodspecialties.com/Index.htm

~Cheryl

Armando0831 likes this.
  11. Armando0831

I'm not saying I don't trust her. I just read some wishy washy info on the net about Anco. If I would of scrolled down further, I would have found Anco's link and known that they were still in business. That's a mistake on my part.

12. Armando0831

I do see your reasoning for the artist could be from anywhere. Thank you again for the clarification.

13. Figtree3

I knew you were not saying that... I just was complimenting and explaining. :happy:

Armando0831 likes this.
  14. Figtree3

It makes a nice avatar, too!

Armando0831 likes this.
  15. Armando0831

It sure does. Huh, avatar and it being blue, kinda goes together. I really love this piece. It just erks me that I can't find anything more about it. I did see another hard edge painting optical art piece with a diamond figure like this, it was also unsigned.

16. Jeremy Steenblk

Jeremy Steenblk New Member

This is a neat painting. Are you interested in selling it? I love hard-edge abstracts. I'm redecorating a house and this painting would go great in a blue room I'm working on.

17. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Welcome to the Forum, Jeremy

Aug 2019 is the last time this member has logged on. You can make offers to buy and sell through private conversations only.
    Click that members Avatar and click start conversation.

18. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

& the thread is from 2014..............:meh:

Draft saved Draft deleted