1953 Lane Coffee Table- Glass top?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by erinmichelle, May 2, 2021.

1. erinmichelle

erinmichelle New Member

I recently found this Lane coffee table, serial no. 354012, and was trying to figure out if this lip is a design feature, or if it there was originally a piece of glass set into it. It's in great shape, but there is some wear to the finish. Also looking for advice on the best course of action to restore it.

IMG_3110.jpg IMG_3111.jpg IMG_3112.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

There may have been a glass piece inset from the way the edge is sun-faded but the big flat area isn't. As for refinishing, an expert will be along later.

3. mark737

mark737 Well-Known Member

I doubt it came with glass originally, but someone may have used one later for protection. The veneers on mid century tables tend to be pretty thin, so sanding can be dangerous since it's easy to sand right through them. Plus, these tend to have some type of tinted shellac and/or lacquer finish that gums up sandpaper quickly. For these reasons, I prefer to remove the old finish with acetone first. I take an old brush and brush it on a small section at a time, then set a paper towel over the wet area and brush another layer over the towel. This keeps the acetone wet longer allowing it to break down the finish. After about 15-20 seconds you can usually wipe up the finish with the wet towel. You may have to do this a couple of times to get it all, and you will go through a lot of towels (and make sure to wear Butyl gloves for protection). After that, I sand by hand with a 180 or 220 grit paper to get off any remaining old finish. For a new finish, I've had good results with Watco Danish oils or dewaxed shellacs, depending on the type of wood and color I want. I'm a hobbyist not a professional refinisher, but I have done a number of mid century pieces in this way with good results.

Last edited: May 3, 2021
  4. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

I believe the year would be 45.
    The 3 is the plant # where it was manufactured. From the way I understand it. You read the number backwards for the date, but not include the last number.
    You can double check that.

komokwa likes this.
  5. mark737

mark737 Well-Known Member

My understanding is if it's 6 digits, then it's just the date. If it's 7 digits, it's the date followed by the plant#. I have a feeling the number supplied may not be correct though, since the month would be 21 when read backwards.

Last edited: May 3, 2021
    komokwa and i need help like this.
  6. i need help

i need help Moderator Moderator

Thank you, Mark!
    I’ll try to remember that. :)

mark737 and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted