Featured 1953 Damshka MacDavid Figural Oil Painting on Board

Discussion in 'Art' started by Lithographer, Aug 1, 2022.

1. Lithographer

Lithographer Well-Known Member

I purchased this painting at an estate sale last week. It is oil on hardboard. The only additional information I was able to find was in the 1953 Long Beach phone book. I found a listing for a Mrs. Pamela MacDavid, her profession was listed as artist. I have not been able to find much else, just a computer generated obituary. I would also like some help with the ethnicity of the person in the painting, maybe North Africa?
    IMG_1945.JPG IMG_1946.JPG IMG_1947.JPG IMG_1948.JPG

aaroncab, Roaring20s and Any Jewelry like this.
  2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Agree, North Africa, Berber.

3. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yep. And isn't she nice? Original frame and all.

Debora

4. Roaring20s

Roaring20s Well-Known Member

5. Lithographer

Roaring20s likes this.
  6. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

I found a newspaper article with a photo of her holding one of her paintings. Of course from a newspaper, it is not very clear. Let's see if I can upload it here. I did not manage to get the entire article in the right-hand column copied.

Pamela MacDavid.jpg

This is from the Independent Press Telegram, Long Beach, 14 March 1952. I see from other sources that she was born Pamela Kirkman in 1921, and died in 1981 or 1982.

There are also several articles in that newspaper in the 1950s, mostly mentioning art classes she was teaching.

moreotherstuff and Roaring20s like this.
  7. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

She's in the right place and the right time, but is she the right person? I'm seeing more of Ben Shahn than Renoir in this work.

Figtree3 likes this.
  8. Lithographer

That’s cool, it is always nice to put a face to the name. Seems like she was really active in the art scene.

Figtree3 likes this.
  9. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Good question. The note on the back says the artist was "Damshka MacDavid" so there is that difference in the name. But how many artists named MacDavid were working in Long Beach, California in the early 1950s, I wonder? I had thought Damshka was somehow a misreading of Pamela.

10. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Google translates Damshka as damask and the language as Hausa, a people in Northwestern Nigeria and Southern Niger. Don't know if any of that has anything to do with anything.

For all that matter, could have been someone else in the same family. Maybe it was just a beatnik handle.

Figtree3 likes this.
  11. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Might be a childhood nickname. From a sibling who couldn't pronounce "Pamela."

Debora

Figtree3 and moreotherstuff like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted