Featured 1950s (?) Watercolor

Discussion in 'Art' started by Stanzerl, Jul 16, 2015.

1. Stanzerl

Stanzerl Active Member

This is a watercolor painting I bought a while ago.

I tried to find some information on the painter (Phyllis D. Curtis) and also about the painting itself (location, year, event (possibly 4th of July?) but unfortunately wasn't successful.

The picture with the frame shows the painting after I got it reframed. IMG_9568.JPG IMG_9558.JPG IMG_2896.JPG

Tina, KingofThings and cartoongirl like this.
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Id say 50s was accurate,what a sweet painting ! Love the colors and subject. Wasn't able to find anything for you ,she could just be a talented amateur.

lauragarnet and KingofThings like this.
  3. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

It's a charming painting. I couldn't find anything about her, either.

KingofThings likes this.
  4. lauragarnet

lauragarnet Well-Known Member

I couldn't find anything about the artist either.
    The painting looks science fiction-ish to me. It looks like the whirling fireball came out of the clouds. What's that dark object up in the left hand top corner? And the two diamond shaped things on posts? What could those be?

5. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

It almost looks like it was an illustration for a children's book. But if she was an illustrator, I'd think she'd show up in searches.

6. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

I was going to ask the same question about that dark spot.

Certainly doesn't look like 4th of July - no flags, for one.

I can't decide if the whirling firework came down from the sky or the smoke it's putting out is being blown away from the crowd and around the tree in the center. The diamond things on posts could be the remains of previously set off whirling fireworks. Or not.

7. Stanzerl

Stanzerl Active Member

Thanks for all the replies! It is very interesting to read and gets me thinking.

I just did some research again and I found a couple galleries representing an 86ish years old Lady. Her name is "Phyllis Curtis Borden" (Gallery in AZ) and another one representing her in Texas as "Phyllis Borden". I will call them tomorrow and see.

On one of the pages it says that she was born in Iowa and lived in Tennessee.
    Any thoughts that this painting could be staged in Tennessee?

8. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

looks like some kind of pied piper thing.....i don't see any adults.

9. Stanzerl

Stanzerl Active Member

Anything of what, please??? I do see adults, but I also guess that at these times children could still do something on their own, without having their parents hoovering around them all the time, which could be the reason that there are so many children.

10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Nice painting! Based on the car in the background, I wonder if this could be earlier than the 50s.

11. Stanzerl

Stanzerl Active Member

Mmmh, sound interesting? Which timeframe would you think?

12. Pat P

Pat P Well-Known Member

Maybe 40s or early 50s? I'm not sure the clothing and hairstyles would fit earlier than that?

The more I look at the painting, the more I think it was an illustration for a book or story.

Stanzerl likes this.
  13. 42Skeezix

42Skeezix Moderator Moderator

The spinning firework is a Catherine wheel. The diamond things are spent wheels.

The car looks 50s.

This has a very illustrative look to my eye too. Maybe she was a professional illustrator. Illustrators get short shrift in many "artist" listings.

I think it's very good ImHO.

Draft saved Draft deleted