1950's painting w/unusual comic strip artist(?) stamp on back

Discussion in 'Art' started by journeymagazine, Feb 9, 2021.

1. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

Any thoughts on this painting - and the stamp on the back that looks like a newspaper comic strip character to me?

It was only $5 and I got it because of that stamp - hoping it was by a known comic strip artist & maybe the lady in the portrait was a comic strip character?

Thanks

ART PAINTING PAT MONAGHAN 1AA.JPG ART PAINTING PAT MONAGHAN 2AA.JPG ART PAINTING PAT MONAGHAN 3AA.JPG ART PAINTING PAT MONAGHAN 5AA.JPG ART PAINTING PAT MONAGHAN 5AAA.JPG

2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I don't think that's a stamp. It appears to be a handwritten inscription to Lee from the artist. The illustration would be a self-portrait.

Debora

BaseballGames, komokwa and Roaring20s like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

upload_2021-2-9_22-24-41.jpeg
    maybe this red head........

upload_2021-2-9_22-25-7.jpeg

upload_2021-2-9_22-26-29.jpeg upload_2021-2-9_22-30-5.jpeg upload_2021-2-9_22-32-39.jpeg upload_2021-2-9_22-36-5.jpeg upload_2021-2-9_22-34-15.jpeg upload_2021-2-9_22-39-3.jpeg upload_2021-2-9_22-43-55.jpeg

judy likes this.
  4. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

In 1956, she was a "Today Girl" (sic) on The Today Show.

Debora

gettyimages-140611051-1024x1024.jpg

5. BaseballGames

BaseballGames Well-Known Member

Hope I don't come off as a jerk when I say Komo's third pic (the Batgirl poster) is meant to show Julie Newmar, and I'm pretty certain that's not Lee Meriwether in Debora's pic. Getty is notorious for mislabelling photos, and IMDb [ https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0580886/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_0 ] has no record of her ever appearing on the Today Show...

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Wikipedia.org does but I can't personally vouch for citation and/or photo. And, you're not being "a jerk." Facts matter.

Debora

BaseballGames likes this.
  7. smallaxe

smallaxe Well-Known Member

I also thought that was Julie Newmar.

8. komokwa

Well....looks like you're right !
    I was grabbing pics...fast and loose....& grabbed the wrong gal !!:oops::oops::oops::sorry::sorry:

upload_2021-2-10_13-9-29.jpeg

but as Deb sez.....'facts matter'........sooooo...
    That poster is still, Catwoman.......not Batgirl............:p

9. Firemandk

Firemandk Well-Known Member

Julie was the Bestest.....Eartha was too cool ...Lee was good too ! anything after .....naaaaa !

tumblr_nkhtbtocTp1qiohboo3_500.gif

komokwa likes this.
  10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

The woman in the painting doesn't resemble Lee Meriwether. Also the signature on the front of the painting doesn't much resemble the writing on the back. Both statements imo.

CheersDears likes this.
  11. A100JS

A100JS New Member

Lee Meriwether had a couple of appearances as different characters on the 1966 Batman TV series, but not as Catwoman -- she played Catwoman only in the Batman theatrical film done at that time (which was just like the TV show).

12. BaseballGames

BaseballGames Well-Known Member

D'oh! Of course I knew Newmar and Meriwether (and Kitt) were Catwoman, not BatGirl, I just typed in even more of a hurry than Komo was grabbing pictures...
    :facepalm:

komokwa likes this.
  13. komokwa

Hahaha!!!!!!
    Good to know ...birds of a feather !!:playful::playful::playful:

And to all those taking me seriously here...........Don't !
    I was under the spell of a pretty girl.......... no not the painting.!!!!

14. journeymagazine

journeymagazine Well-Known Member

I thought it was Lee thanking the artist? Also Lee did some painting herself, didn't she?
    Finally, looking for something she painted I came across that she was also on Barnaby! And when I saw the still I immediately recognized her (now, never before as catwoman)!

Figtree3 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted