1950's "Indian" Lidded Basket

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by vitry-le-francois, Jun 14, 2024.

1. vitry-le-francois

vitry-le-francois Well-Known Member

Just came back from a local auction where they had a section of "Native American" artifacts. Don't know how "Native" or "American" any of these items are but the price was right so I got them. I'll post each item separately.

Here is the 1st item...1950's lidded basket

1.lidded12.jpg 1.lidded3.jpg 1.lidded1.jpg 1.lidded8.jpg 1.lidded4.jpg 1.lidded6.jpg 1.lidded7.jpg 1.lidded9.jpg 1.lidded11.jpg

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

3. 2manybooks

2manybooks Well-Known Member

Chinese trinket basket, made of twined rush.

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I concur....... 1990's or after.

Any Jewelry likes this.
  5. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

If it's Taiwanese it could be 80s, but not a lot earlier.

6. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

I would be very cautious about dealing with this auction house in the future.

Debora

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

8. vitry-le-francois

They certainly don't know. Like most auction houses, they sell items "en masse" and it's always buyer beware. Most rarely guarantee anything. I knew what I was buying and I only spent a few dollars or so for each item. Sometimes, it's worth the risk to get something good. Usually, I do :)

9. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Ah, you're not going to be fooled then. Good.

Debora

10. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

The Indian Arts and Crafts Act of 1990 actually makes it a federal offense, with a $250,000 fine (more for a "business") to offer something for sale as "Native American Indian, if it actually wasn't made by an enrolled member, or a recognized artisan, of an official U.S. tribe.

Auction houses have probably found a way to "sidestep" the law, but I would certainly avoid this particular auction in the future!

11. vitry-le-francois

Yes, most auction houses will always start an auction by saying "AS IS WHERE IS." That's their caveat. That being said, this same auction house has removed items (such as fake coins) after being notified. They also call out reproduction antiques and items that have been repaired--in as much as they are notified or they notice it.

I certainly knew going into this sale that this items were possible fakes. I take full responsibility for my purchases. If they were authentic, I would be doing a most joyful happy dance. Since they are not, I am still ok because I didn't pay much and all the other items I purchase for resale will more than make up for this minor loss.

Draft saved Draft deleted