1943 Esquire mailer w/contents (to military?) Vargas calendar, Esquire mag, puzzle

Discussion in 'Antique Discussion' started by Lucille.b, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

Just curious if anyone had run across similar. This last weekend I purchased some incredible Alberto Vargas calendars from the estate of an artist, collector. Years 42,43,45,47, but it is the 1943 one that I feel is pretty rare. Has anyone run across this version?

It comes in a colorful cardboard mailer--front of mailer shows contents, 12 month Varga calendar 1943, Esquire magazine, Holiday January 1944 (magazine also has the same 12 photos from calendar inside) and a puzzle of Susan Haywood. Everything inside is present, just as shown on the cover. It almost seems to have a military theme -- were these sent to soldiers by any chance? January's little rhyme talks about the military, a few other months as well. Although this is in a mailer, it never appears to have been mailed, but there are initials with a #in pencil on the front. All thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

aadisvarga.jpg

aadisvarga2a.jpg aadisvarga2b.jpg

aadisvarga2c.jpg aadisvarga3.jpg aadisvarga4.jpg

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  2. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

I have seen before. Haven't run across any lately. If you are planning to sell on ebay, do not do as an auction.
    [​IMG]

3. Lucille.b

Hi Terry, thanks for taking a look. Why not an auction? (If fixed price, what amount would be appropriate? I'm not seeing others online to compare. The only thing I found was the same magazine on its own which sold for $68.)

Also, what do you think about the military connection, or isn't that such a selling point?

Thanks!

P.S. Nice photo of Susan!

4. terry5732

Everything in the US in those years had a military mention.

You may do best spitting it up. I'd ask about $150 for the calendar, $75 for the puzzle, I didn't know the mags sold that well.

5. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

I found some of the individual pieces from your set and they do not seem to be selling for anything different than others from about the same time period.

Here is the complete set from the previous year that failed to sell for $145.00. You may do better splitting it up but hard to say.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Jan-1943-ESQUIRE-Mag-WITH-Original-Box-Jane-Russell-Puzzle-Vargas-Calendar-/371070589548?pt=Magazines&hash=item566587da6c&nma=true&si=GZl%2BZOnXguFhF49nYE13iZu%2BGYE%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The calendars seem to be selling in the $50-100.00 range.

The Susan Hayward puzzle only sold for $20.00.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Susan-Hayward-Esquire-Magazine-Puzzle-ca-1943-Complete-photo-by-George-Hurrell-/301136904706?pt=Puzzles_US&hash=item461d288202&nma=true&si=GZl%2BZOnXguFhF49nYE13iZu%2BGYE%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

6. terry5732

It's a bad time of year on feebay for these. They will do much better in the fall.

7. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

True ..... everything tends to do much better in the Fall.

8. Lucille.b

Thanks Brad and Terry. I had these scheduled for this week, but I think I'm going to hold off until the fall. I think that is good advice. Not sure about breaking up the set or not, that is a tough one. I did see this particular 1943 calendar going from as low as $50 to $125 sold, took a look at the auctions, I think the difference might have been that one had international shipping, the other not, so I'll be sure to include international. Also some said "Varga" others "Vargas". Not sure if that made a difference. I used both spellings in my listings.

The unsold set is slightly different than mine, but same calendar, that's for sure. I don't know how you found that, Brad. Was looking under completed for sets, no luck. I'm learning about these. Was surprised that the magazine had a 12 page spread, the same Vargas illustrations, just like the calendar. I think that is what makes certain years of Esquire magazine sell better.

I also spotted a sold BIN for 4 different 1940's Vargas calendars sold as a lot -- went for $500! I wonder if it might be worth just putting all four on for a week or two as a group, just to see if there are any takers.

P.S. Back with an OLD BATTERY question. Same estate. Will start a new post on that one.

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  9. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Also, what do you think about the military connection, or isn't that such a selling point?

The world's biggest war was in full spate. I'd be astonished if any other topic got much of a look in.

10. spirit-of-shiloh

spirit-of-shiloh Well-Known Member

Awesome finds Lucille :)

Draft saved Draft deleted