Featured 1940s Fenton Vanity Set?/Murano Sommerso Swan?

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by KikoBlueEyes, Feb 20, 2023.

1. KikoBlueEyes

KikoBlueEyes Well-Known Member

No joy at the resale shop lately. I have had to settle for reading all the lovely posts from others and enjoying their finds with envy. Finally, some nice stuff came, which I forced myself to resist, but I found two things that I had to have. I want to check their bona fides though.

They were selling each of these Fenton Pieces separately, but I saw somewhere that they were called a 1940s Vanity set. I already have a blue melon vase that I posted on the Finds Thread. What I wanted to know is if the 1940s time seems right. Also, any other comments would be appreciated. I was thrilled it is a perfect set, no damage and no substitutions. Amazing after 70 years if the date is right.
    IMG_9510 (1).JPG IMG_9513 (1).JPG IMG_9512 (1).JPG IMG_9514.JPG

The second this is this swan. Someone was selling their collection. About 8 items, but most were fairly ordinary, so they didn't come home with me. This one had a high price, because it was marked Murano. Now the store marks a lot of things as Murano and if they find it online as Murano, they call it that too. What I thought was Murano about it was the interesting shape and color transitions - the yellow and red areas are not separate pieces just different colors.

It is unmarked and 5 3/4 inches tall and 8 inches from head to tail. Any comments?

IMG_9505 (1).JPG IMG_9506 (1).JPG IMG_9508 (1).JPG IMG_9507.JPG

2. pearlsnblume

pearlsnblume Well-Known Member

OMG the blue vanity items are yummy.

3. KikoBlueEyes

Aren't they though. They dragged me across the room immediately.

4. pearlsnblume

5. KikoBlueEyes

Thank you. This is the one I found that I am basing my question on. Sellers say a lot of things. I don't have any Fenton books or catalogs, so I rely on the members here to be tell me if this is puffing or the seller knows their stuff. It's already in the bulging Fenton collection space. I will have to get rid of some things because now there are too many. Hard though, as I love each piece.

Figtree3, pearlsnblume and bercrystal like this.
  6. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Your Fenton set is indeed Blue Overlay & this is the #711 3-piece vanity set.

Fenton Art Glass Colors by Margaret & Kenn Whitmyer gives the dates of 1949 to 1951.

7. KikoBlueEyes

Wowsa!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Terrific. Thank you so much for looking this up. I am so excited.

pearlsnblume and bercrystal like this.
  8. TallCakes

TallCakes Well-Known Member

9. KikoBlueEyes

I see the beads, and you are right. Mine is the earlier version without the beads. I like that date even better. Thank you very much for taking the time to show me examples of the two types. I didn't understand the beading. Now I know what to look for.

My blue melon vase is also not beaded.

IMG_8965 (1).jpg

Last edited: Feb 20, 2023
  10. bercrystal

bercrystal Well-Known Member

Thanks for clarifying my response @TallCakes. :happy::happy:

I had totally forgotten that Fenton did Blue Overlay with & without the beaded edge. :rolleyes::oops::bag:

pearlsnblume, *crs* and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  11. Rclinftl

Rclinftl Well-Known Member

the duck is Seguso - I did a search and several many identicals show up on etsy - ebay - google but unfortunately I couldn't find one that still retained the original paper label... the technique or pattern is most often refered to as sommerso but sometimes massello -

12. pearlsnblume

Speaking of duck. does anyone else here remember the poster
    Bernie the duck???

bercrystal and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  13. KikoBlueEyes

Excellent. I don't have the depth of knowledge to know what the correct information was. Misinformation spreads like wildfire on the web. I checked using your research as a guideline and I think you have solved the mystery. I especially didn't get how they fused the colors together so seamlessly. Massello - not I get it. Quite the mastery of glass. It's going into the special treasurer's case. Thank you.

Figtree3 and bercrystal like this.
  14. KikoBlueEyes

Before my time?

pearlsnblume likes this.
  15. pearlsnblume

Maybe Kiko. He had a avi similar to your glass duck above. That is what reminded me of him.

bercrystal and KikoBlueEyes like this.
  16. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Bernie was on Ebay PGP Board but not here that I can recall.

17. KikoBlueEyes

Ah. ha. I tried looking him up, but that name doesn't come up. I don't think it is a duck, by the way. I thought swans had long curved necks.

pearlsnblume likes this.
  18. pearlsnblume

Maybe you are right Bakers.
    I thought he was here too.

KikoBlueEyes likes this.
  19. lvetterli

lvetterli Well-Known Member

I remember Bernie. Had the funniest darned stories that went on and on. Isn't he the one that told about stopping in the roadway to rescue an injured animal (duck? squirrel?) that his wife saw?

Linda

bercrystal and pearlsnblume like this.
  20. pearlsnblume

Hi Linda. I don't remember that particular story, but I remember him telling many a story.

I often wonder what has become of many that were on the ebay boards and some that were here yet disappeared.
    I also remember that guy Mike who had a name like butchiedog and I think he left selling online to open a bar. He had a great page to check marks for pottery or glass.

Draft saved Draft deleted