1930s French Art Deco wrought iron mounts for glass.

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by ritzyvintage, Feb 20, 2021.

1. ritzyvintage

ritzyvintage Well-Known Member

A fairly recent acquisition is this stylish Art Deco wrought iron mount. I have shown it here suitably displayed with a 1930s French press moulded glass 10.5" diameter dish by Costebelle.

It is difficult to establish the maker of the mount itself with certainty, as numerous metal working foundries operated in France during the Art Deco period. Most of them were quick to adapt to customer interest in displaying & using all manner of glass bowls & dishes in a "new fashionable" way. Metal stands & mounts such as this example, also allowed the glass to be easily carried. It is often forgotten that most so-called "decorative" glassware was produced to be used.

The forged iron work by Edgar Brandt was a major influence on other factories. Much of the metal work used by Muller-Frères for example was inspired by Brandt... Edmund Etling, was also a quality producer of metal work, and had his own metal working factory which produced most of the bronze sculptures by Chiparus and other important designers of the period including the metal mounts for many of his glass pattern-types.
    upload_2021-2-20_16-58-9.png

upload_2021-2-20_16-59-31.png
    (yes I know... My table needs some T.LC)
    :)
    upload_2021-2-20_17-1-10.png

Please add your own examples if you have any.
    They will be of great interest to Me and to other like-minded souls.

cxgirl and johnnycb09 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted