1930s-40s School Books

Discussion in 'Books' started by Happy!, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Happy!

Happy! Well-Known Member

Have some old, tattered school books. I think everyone in the county signed them and wrote in them.

They are packed to go to a local auction, but thought I would check here one last time to see if there is an online demand anywhere that I may have missed? Thanks.

2. moreotherstuff

moreotherstuff Izorizent

Unless they were signed by someone famous, they're not worth squat.

3. Happy!

Happy! Well-Known Member

That's what I thought, always feel an emotional tug for books. Can picture the little ones reading them, doing their homework...I am saving some written in pages that were signed by DH's mom, interesting to see her signature progression!

4. clutteredcloset49

clutteredcloset49 Well-Known Member

Any Dick and Jane?
    Any McGuffey readers?

5. gregsglass

gregsglass Well-Known Member

Hi Pat,
    We did not have have Dick & Jane. We had Alice & Jerry and Jip.
    In that vein remember the Little Golden Books? They were 25¢ but when they raised them to 29¢ they sold 3X as many. That magic 9.
    greg

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  6. Carolkp

Carolkp New Member

And your local historical society would be interested in the local names.

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
  7. Happy!

Happy! Well-Known Member

That is a good idea, but we are in another state. The books themselves are in poor condition, dirty, etc. The pages inside are mostly fine.

8. Happy!

Happy! Well-Known Member

No McGuffey readers, but have some Elson readers and Fact and Stories books. Looks like they would sell for under $10 if the covers were good, but as you can see these are pretty dull (and this picture was lightened). There are more, but this is a good sample of condition.

BOOKS EARLY READERS 500.JPG

9. silverthwait

silverthwait Well-Known Member

Fourth grade history in my area was about the antiquitous days. In fact, I found the book so interesting, that I read the whole thing the first night I got to take it home from school.

Thirty-some years later, I came across, and bought, a copy of "Glimpses Into Long Ago," which I still own. Because of that book, I took Latin in school, and Greek in college. And because of THAT, I was super qualified for my first adult job as a proofreader of "to-the-trade" medical journals. Just loved those polysyllabics!

Draft saved Draft deleted