Featured 1910 Guide To Pompei book,Signed A. Sogliano+ Old Photo

Discussion in 'Books' started by antiquelover69, Oct 30, 2021.

1. antiquelover69

antiquelover69 Well-Known Member

Got this book out od a storage I bought."Guide To Pompei",the inside has "Every copy must bear the name of the author",the name signed is A. Sogliano.There are illustrations folded like mapes inse book.Dated 1910.I can't find anything on this book.Any idea about this book.Is it a rare book? Also there was a picture inside,I have no idea what it is,any idea on picture also? SAM_4066.JPG SAM_4068.JPG SAM_4073.JPG SAM_4075.JPG SAM_4076.JPG SAM_4080.JPG SAM_4077.JPG SAM_4078.JPG

kyratango, Bronwen and antidiem like this.
  2. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

kyratango, Figtree3, Boland and 2 others like this.
  3. Bronwen

Bronwen Well-Known Member

Since this is a guide for tourists, the picture is probably a snap shot of a group traveling together when they were on the ship Assyria. A memento of the trip.

kyratango, Figtree3, judy and 2 others like this.
  4. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

most probably not a simple guide. rather the final report of Antonio Sogliano about his work in Pompeii as Ispettore degli scavi di Pompei from 1905 to 1910.
    as there were minor and major scandals during the newer excavations since the 1850s and as these positions were always partly assigned due to political fights - till today ! - this book was not for the public but only available to the important people; therefore signed and eventually discreetly numbered somewhere .

Figtree3, Bronwen, judy and 1 other person like this.
  5. antiquelover69

antiquelover69 Well-Known Member

Thanks so much!! I couldn't find much,but you have great information!!!

Bronwen and judy like this.
  6. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

Italian is a lovely language and there was also an early edition in French. which shows the importance of English for educated topics on the continent...
    the French were leading in classical archeology also in the Holy Land and always had and still have good relations to their Italian colleagues.:)
    it's good though that the Germans with Schliemann and others tried to overtake the French. a bit of competition doesn't do any bad as long as it isn't abused for political ends.:)

kyratango, antiquelover69 and Bronwen like this.
  7. Bronwen

The wording of the 'Notice' at the beginning makes me think the book was intended for a wider readership, for people 'passing through the desolate streets of the Dead City'.

antiquelover69 likes this.
  8. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree. An early guide.

Debora

antiquelover69 and Bronwen like this.
  9. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

typical edition for university libraries. low numbers printed. still made like that today, but rather in literature with commented editions (see Nietzsche, Hölderlin etc.) and therefore expensive at the day.
    no mass tourism. not a guide for the wide public that couldn't afford a journey to Europe anyway.
    'passing through the desolate streets of the Dead City' may be the liberty of the translator and sounds a bit old-fashioned today; furthermore just a thought : what is cleared first to get access ? after every hurricane ???
    tourism was limited to the rich up to the filthy rich that certainly had competent local guides to show them around.
    the map shows the different zones of excavation - or for the Americans - the claims for differing archeology groups.

kyratango, Bronwen and antiquelover69 like this.
  10. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

That's probably what it is. From the way the caption on the side is printed, it appears that either there was a photographer on board who had a sort of template that said it, or somebody took the negative later to a photographer who knew how to print it up. The printing is rather crude, but legible.

Bakersgma and Bronwen like this.
  11. Bronwen

Cook's Tours was taking the bourgeoisie to Europe before the publication of this monograph. The frescoes of Pompeii & Herculaneum provided many subjects for the cameos tourists bought from Neapolitan cutters when visiting the ruins.

12. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

I just ordered The Grand Tour by TASCHEN. a nice heavy brick. xmas time most boring for me, so I already bought books you don't see me in the heap...

Bronwen likes this.
  13. Bronwen

I know the illustrations will be beautiful. Let us know how author(s) define Grand Tour. Although it is widely used for any tour of Europe made by Brits or Americans, my understanding is that its proper use is for the last step in the education of a well to do young man, who would be taken by his tutor to see the famous sights. A Georgian practice more than Victorian.

BoudiccaJones and kyratango like this.
  14. Fid

Fid Well-Known Member

I don't think I'll ever be able to think in the English manner of eras by Kings.:)
    but I'm rather sure that the Grand Tour wasn't for cultural education only for these young lads.;)

BoudiccaJones, kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  15. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Bronwen is (as usual) right.

From the dictionary: "a cultural tour of Europe formerly undertaken, especially in the 18th century, by a young man of the upper classes as a part of his education."

Of course, the meaning has evolved somewhat to include European trips taken by well-heeled Americans in the 19th century.

Debora

Last edited: Nov 2, 2021
    kyratango and Bronwen like this.
  16. Bronwen

I am sure you're quite right.

Draft saved Draft deleted