1890's table?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by bluemoon, May 11, 2017.

1. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

I had one hell of a morning and I don't mean that in a good way. Despite that I managed to buy a piece of furniture.
    I thought this might be circa 1900. Is it?

It has some, four to be exact, wooden circular parts in the tabletop that look like something was removed from there. Ornaments?The center of the tabletop also appears to be uneven and as if it had been stuffed with plaster to cover up a hole or something.
    What parts do you think were removed? Was it perhaps a shaving stand with a mirror or a flower stand with another layer?

2017-05-11 18.37.28.jpg 2017-05-11 18.24.19.jpg 2017-05-11 18.24.42.jpg 2017-05-11 18.49.17.jpg 2017-05-11 18.27.26.jpg 2017-05-11 18.25.42.jpg 2017-05-11 18.26.09.jpg 2017-05-11 18.26.34.jpg 2017-05-11 18.26.57.jpg

2. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

As an update I looked at the table and all the details more precisely and came to a conclusion that the wooden screw that connects the two pieces of the table leg together must be a replacement. It's much lighter than any other wood surface of the table and the end of it has what appear to be circular saw marks (not sure), no other part of the table has those.
    There's also clear, modern-looking glue where it's connected to the table leg.

I think the table must be also refinished. If that's the case, someone really put a lot of effort into the table.

3. Mansons2005

Mansons2005 Nasty by Nature, Curmudgeon by Choice

the four "spots" on the top appear to be where someone placed a footed lamp/urn/vase/planter when the paint was still tacky - and they stuck and removed the paint when the item was removed..............

Christmasjoy, Aquitaine and judy like this.
  4. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

It may look that way but they are actual pieces of wood, circular in shape, lodged symmetrically into the tabletop. Only one of them goes all the way through so that pretty much rules out them having anything to do with the lower side. I just can't imagine what their purpose might have been. Why are there four of them since the table only has three "feet"?

Isn't this method called spun wood? Could the wood pieces be fillings for holes that were left from some sort of way of attaching the round piece of wood so the machine could spin it?

5. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

that don't look old to me...

Aquitaine likes this.
  6. bluemoon

bluemoon Member

That's because it's been refinished and modified. I've seen this kind of pristine-looking shiny black circa 1900 neo-renaissance furniture quite a lot.

7. Aquitaine

Aquitaine Is What It IS! But NEVER BORED!

Not totally crazy about all of the attached shiny stuff and bad paint job either....... sorry to say......doesn't look like it has much age to me either..... that being said, I HAVE been known to be wrong....:smuggrin::smuggrin:

Draft saved Draft deleted