Featured 1890s German Gerz Vase

Discussion in 'Pottery, Glass, and Porcelain' started by RachelW, Aug 10, 2024.

1. RachelW

RachelW Well-Known Member

Was very happy to find this vase for 2 euros today. Google lens bring up some information and some crazy prices (2020 auction estimate 5-600 usd :eek:)

There is a chip which is unfortunate, but someone somewhere along the way DRILLED A HOLE to make it into a lamp :facepalm::facepalm: I have no words.

However, I do appreciate the vision they had, so rather than fighting by trying to sell it with the 'damage', I think I'll keep it and put a light fixture back into it. I'll also keep a look out for a reasonably priced second one to make a lamp + vase pair.

So voila, a German Westerwald salt glazed vase, marked for Girz, 1893-1900.

IMG_20240810_154330.jpg IMG_20240810_154350.jpg IMG_20240810_154342.jpg IMG_20240810_154406.jpg

Thanks for looking!​

2. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Neither have I, but it did happen.:(

Excellent find though.:)

RachelW likes this.
  3. RachelW

Its rather gorgeous isnt it! I've been not so slowly aquiring pieces for when I move into my own space in the next year or so, so far I've got very eclectic taste and meshing the styles and ages will be an interesting task :hilarious:

Any Jewelry likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

So have I.:rolleyes::joyful:
    I usually keep styles together. But I have found that some styles do go together, even if they are a world apart.

Just look at what matches from an esthetic viewpoint. Is a combination pleasing to the eye, or does one (or more) of the items scream "Help, I want to get off".;)

Potteryplease, kentworld and RachelW like this.
  5. RachelW

Good advice!

Any Jewelry likes this.
  6. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

I find lots of vintage (not antique) Gerz mugs & steins-they're generally not worth a ton.This vase though is antique & exceptional (auction results vary widely as you know).
    The base hole-same thing happened with lots of Ming too,our ancestors were absolutely entranced with antique lamp bases.
    PS-I sure wished I lived in your neighborhood.I'd be tempted to put ads for local pickers in the paper.After those watch parts mystery boxes you'd bought-nothing you find surprise me !
    Doesn't matter how much you study,some locales have the Merch-some don't,and for old greatness-you need an old country.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2024
    RachelW likes this.
  7. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I think my area got mined out about a decade ago, except for blindingly lucky hits. Then again I wouldn't know a good piece of salt glaze if I tripped on it!

bosko69 and RachelW like this.
  8. RachelW

Well this turns out to be the best purchase of the day, I think I'll stick to antiques from my own continent lol! China is a minefield.

Honestly Bosko this type of thing would normally be way out of my price range, but this dealer wasn't really a dealer but just happened to do the occasional clean out etc. Gorgeous taste for small prices. I just liked the faces and it looked old!

Yeah I'm desperate to get my hands on some of these house clearances. We don't get estate sales like you do in the states, rather they're 'vide maisons' (literally: empty house) and its always tupperware, dishes, and kids toys. I don't know where the chateaus/villas/old houses are listed. One guy got a 15th century wood and painted leather bench from a chateau for 50 euros, but they just wanted them gone. Kill me.

So for now the best I can do is vide greniers, which to be fair haven't been bad! No word yet by the way from the last museum about those boxes, I need to message him again as he was on holiday last time and may have missed my message completely.

9. evelyb30

The estate sales here are often moving sales now - no antiques at all. Furniture and other modern bits. The "get it gone" sales are few and far between now. There was a "treasures" sale a ways away, and if I hadn't just had a tooth yanked it would have been more of a temptation. But.."cleaned and curated" made me think "eBay list prices" if not more. I got some sleep instead.

RachelW likes this.
  10. bosko69

bosko69 Well-Known Member

Yr boxes are still one of the forums highlights.Folks round here think small swung vases are Vermeers !

RachelW likes this.
  11. RachelW

Honestly half the time sleep would have been the better option lol! But it gets me out of the house and out and about.

12. evelyb30

Yup. Two weeks ago I went to something advertised as "big multifamily estate and tag sale"...and spent US$2 - less than a cuppa joe. There was nothing to buy. It's been like that all Summer; I think Saturdays are about burning dinosaurs and sleep these days.

RachelW likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted