1800s German cabinet

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by LarryG, Oct 1, 2022.

1. LarryG

LarryG New Member

062BB9EE-9720-4894-A25D-16A7BAE91444.jpeg Hi all,
    I’m hoping someone can give me more info on my German Schrunk pine cabinet. I know it’s from the 1800s, but unsure which decade. Is it considered a Biedermeire? After 30 years I’m debating selling, but value on a piece like this is a real head scratcher. Prices seem to be all over the place. Any help much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 1, 2022
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

Someone REALLY went to town stripping that piece. Theres just not a huge market for big pieces like this lately. Can we see pics of some joinery,inside,and the back?

Fern77, sabre123 and komokwa like this.
  3. LarryG

LarryG New Member

Thanks for the reply. Not sure about it having been stripped. I’d think there would be signs of prior stain somewhere, but every nook, cranny and deepest grain is bare pine. Did they make them unfinished? Here are some detail pics. Back boards have been stored separately for 30 years so the fit isn’t spectacular. You’ll notice rear feet are tack ons. Front feet original?

Attached Files:

4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

I don't see any evidence of stripping..

Boland likes this.
  5. Boland

Boland Well-Known Member

A little odd and intriguing.. Looking forward to some interesting comments on this.

6. komokwa

if that's 123 years old...... intriguing is right !!

7. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

I don't see any overt evidence of stripping either, but in the cracks may be a smidge of left over paint from vat stripping. I see a lot of that sort of rub wear. It looks antique and stripped to me, I believe it would have been originally painted so wood worms wouldn't eat it, stripping comes as no surprise. Are those tiny holes in the top of the side - wood worm holes? I've had them hit a piece that was stripped before I could get a clear finish back onto it! If this were my piece, I'd consider application of some sort of finish. None of the feet look right to me, the front ones may be correct style, but they don't look old, they all look like replacements. Maybe @verybrad can sort this out! :)

LarryG likes this.
  8. antidiem

antidiem Well-Known Member

Showing the inside could be very helpful too. I don't expect you to show the bottom! ;)

komokwa likes this.
  9. Ghopper1924

Ghopper1924 Well-Known Member

Not Biedermeier, but late 19th Century Victorian. I'd say 1870s or so, from your later pictures. I would have expected walnut, but it appears to be pine. As Johnny said, not a big market, especially for something that doesn't appear to have any age to it because of how it has been stripped/finished.

Figtree3, Fern77, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  10. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

It is pine and it has been scrubbed to the bare wood. This look was quite popular in the late 80s and boatloads of scrubbed pine furniture came over from Europe. Many of them got permanently modified to TV cabinet use. It is not a look that people want these days and the large size may be detriment. That said, if it knocks down, there should be a buyer out there for a few hundred dollars. Maybe more in or near a large city. If it does not knock down, all bets are off.

11. LarryG

LarryG New Member

Some shots of the inside. A contemporary divider is installed so ignore the modern darker pine. Re finish, the wood is definitely old and the cabinet very well made, so little question of authenticity in my mind. Not sure how you could strip a piece this large and leave absolutely no trace. And yes, worm holes here and there. Predates my ownership - so over 30 years ago.

Attached Files:

antidiem and komokwa like this.
  12. komokwa

Not sure how you could strip a piece this large and leave absolutely no trace.

my thoughts exactly......unless it was dismantled board by board....:eek::jawdrop:

13. LarryG

LarryG New Member

Helpful response veryBrad, and sounds most probable. I do live in a huge city, and it does knock down. Do you think asking $1200 would be out of line? Maybe for the farmhouse or rustic crowd?

14. verybrad

Might have gotten $1200 in the late 80s but half that seems more likely. You can always try, and come down as necessary. If you are not in a hurry to sell, it doesn't hurt to do a little fishing.

komokwa likes this.
  15. verybrad

Figtree3, Ghopper1924 and komokwa like this.
  16. komokwa

17. LarryG

LarryG New Member

Huh. Well I’ll toss it out there and see if anyone bites. Thanks all!

antidiem and komokwa like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted