1800’s Ladderback chair?

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Constable, Apr 19, 2022.

1. Constable

Constable New Member

First off, I’m new to antiquing. I’ve found a few pieces and researched via Google Lens. I’ve stumbled across some pieces of value (I believe.) However, this piece I thought was new(er). I thought it was beautiful and bought it at a garage sale. The lady who sold it had previously used it outside. It looks very ‘dry,’ is covered in webs, and has dirt in places. But I decided to research, just in case.

I have two questions:

after using Google Lens, I found a similar, if not identical item for sale. Seller mentioned 1800’s ladder back but, offered no origin detail. I have found no name, mark, etc…
    Does anyone have a clue as to it’s origin and time?

second question, I don’t want to destroy this piece but, I do want to put it inside my home (can’t with all the dirt/webs.) CD875D6D-8FCB-4B12-A5C4-299008F6377C.jpeg Can I clean it with soap and water? And use some sort of natural protection so, that it doesn’t wear too fast?

ulilwitch and Jeff Drum like this.
  2. Jeff Drum

Jeff Drum Well-Known Member

Ladder back is correct name these are typically given now. This looks second half of 20th century to me, probably imported from Romania or other Eastern European country. As a fairly recent (not antique) chair, you do not need to be concerned about hurting value. P.s. you were right about age, many people selling things online are clueless about what they have, or do know but oversell by pretending there is age that isn’t really there.

Grain is probably raised from storage outside, so I would first damp (not wet) rag to remove dirt, then sand with fine sandpaper, until it is smooth and not splintery to the touch. Then rub on either boiled linseed oil, or a wiping varnish like Howard’s or Minwax if you want a shinier surface. If you use wiping varnish, you can get Natural or with added tint, if you want to stain and darken the finish some. Have fun!

Last edited: Apr 19, 2022
    Figtree3, Pat Dennis, bluumz and 4 others like this.
  3. verybrad

verybrad Well-Known Member

Ditto, the above. Good advice!

Pat Dennis, Aquitaine and komokwa like this.
  4. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

unless yer a kid or a teenage girl with a slender figure those chairs are terribly uncomfortable....

the way the front legs come up over the seat ........Arrrrgggghhhhh.....& ouch.

Pat Dennis likes this.
  5. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

My first dining room set (bought in Vermont in the early 70s) had this style of chairs and they were actually comfortable.

6. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

u musta bin thinner back then..................;)..:playful::playful::playful:

Draft saved Draft deleted