18 inch wood table, "Made in Denmark"

Discussion in 'Furniture' started by Lucille.b, Nov 4, 2014.

1. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

$2.99 at my local thrift, top has some ink stain or something, but form seemed sort of cute so I tipped it over and saw the Denmark stamp, was surprised to see these chalk notations regarding the woods. It is a diminutive table, 18" high, 14 x 8.5" across. I suspect the bottom of the feet were capped or covered at one time, you can see shadows of something an inch and a half up the leg.

I would have thought maybe it was a homemade piece, except for the Denmark stamp. Is it common to see the wood types written in chalk on the base of Danish tables? Thanks.

table1.jpg table 3.jpg table2.jpg

2. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

I'll bet it had brass caps on the legs at some point. The chalk mark doesn't surprise me; I still have wax pencil etc on the bottoms of some Victorian marble tables in the family. I'm betting it was written by a Dane; they spelled beech wrong.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  3. Lucille.b

Lucille.b Well-Known Member

I guess one thing that was confusing me, shouldn't the words be in Danish?

4. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Not if it was made for export, which it was since it's marked with the country name in English. They'd have marked it in Danish if it were made for the domestic market.

Draft saved Draft deleted