Featured 14" Fur Rattle: Any ideas on this?

Discussion in 'Tribal Art' started by Carnivant, Aug 18, 2024.

1. Carnivant

Carnivant Active Member

Hello!

A few weeks ago, I bought a cheap lot at a local auctions. I bought the lot for its two Wayang Golek puppet heads, but everything else in it was just unrelated modern junk, aside from maybe this thing, which I am unsure about.

I am not sure what is on the inside, but it is a rattle. The fur is very soft but not well put together (still can't see inside it though). It is approximately 14 inches long and looks like the handle is made from an actual stick. There is also a metal piece at the very end (so maybe it is a modern creation?).

I am not quite sure where to start looking for this, but I am wondering about its origin and age, if anyone has any ideas. Any help would be appreciated!

20240818_120254.jpg 20240818_120301.jpg 20240818_120325.jpg 20240818_120413.jpg 20240818_120340.jpg 20240818_120334.jpg

And in case anyone asks, here are the Wayang Golek heads. I just thought they were interesting, and had never seen one before. :)
    20240818_114704.jpg

Figtree3, reader, wlwhittier and 5 others like this.
  2. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

a somewhat modern creation by who knows who......

u can't attribute it to any one tribe.......

Carnivant, 2manybooks and Bakersgma like this.
  3. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

the heads are nice !!!

Carnivant likes this.
  4. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

They usually come with bodies in textile dress with beaded details, but I guess someone didn't like the bodies.:( Heads are sometimes sold separately as small (airplane size) souvenirs, but those come with stands and are usually carved with more detail.
    They were made in West Java.
    Both are male, in case you were wondering.;) And both are characters in the Hindu epics Mahabharata and/or Ramayana, Javanese-Sundanese style.

Although most Wayang Golek puppets that end up in the West were made as souvenirs, it is possible that the more basic one on the right came from a full set for a travelling puppeteer. It could be as old as the 1950s, but dating is easier when they still have their bodies and clothing.
    The fiesty fellow is much more recent and probably part of a souvenir puppet.

Figtree3, reader, komokwa and 2 others like this.
  5. Carnivant

Carnivant Active Member

That's about what I expected. Thank you!

Honestly, I had absolutely no idea what these were when I bought them--I like buying weird things I don't understand to research them. I really wish they came with their bodies, but I'm fine with just the heads. Perhaps, one day, I can find a proper stand for them (that won't damage them, of course).

Thank you for the information!

Figtree3, komokwa and Any Jewelry like this.
  6. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The heads have a hole in the centre of the neck.
    A simple way is to find a piece of wood you find appropriate and stable, drill a hole in it, and glue a thick dowel or even a cut of a branch in the hole. You could even make a stand for both heads, with two dowels or branches.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2024
  7. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

I believe it’s made for washing your back in the shower!

8. Carnivant

Carnivant Active Member

Oh, yeah, making them myself is definitely an option. Perhaps I'll have enough time to do that some day.

Definitely not how I'd use it! x)

J Dagger, Figtree3 and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted