10k Gold Ring With Diamonds or CZ's?

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by kardinalisimo, Jul 22, 2016.

1. kardinalisimo

kardinalisimo Well-Known Member

Got this from any estate sale today. Checked with a local pawn shop before I got home. They said 0.25 carat diamonds.
    The marks are hard to see but when I took pictures and enlarged them, it is much clear now. Not sure which way to rotate them. In one of the positions it looks like the last two read CZ. Could it be for cubic zirconia. Or maker's mark? I am not sure if they did a reliable test in the pawn shop.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

lauragarnet likes this.
  2. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

They probably used a thermal conductivity tester which would be very good at precluding CZs.

afantiques likes this.
  3. kardinalisimo

I don't know, I was there, did not see any testers being used, only magnifier. Offered me $340. They usually give you what, 40% from what they will get?
    I know nothing about precious stones but $340 for six 0.25c diamonds( if they are) sounds a bit low. I don't know the color and the clarity.
    I am a little worried if that mark is CZ for zirconia. Should I go to a jewellry shop? I was thinking to Ebay it but I have to be sure what I'm selling. If diamonds, what should I do, auction or buy now ( how much) with BO?

4. terry5732

terry5732 Well-Known Member

They will generally give you nothing for the stones - only for scrap gold weight.

Diamonds are actually worth very little.

I think I'd take the 340 and run

5. kardinalisimo

How come diamonds are worth little?

6. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

They generally don't want to bother with anything under half a carat. Diamonds cost a pile, but the resale is pretty well nil unless they're good ones.

7. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

Even though yours look nicely cut....just from your pics I can see they;re cloudy, with scuffs and several inclusions.
    Like Evelyn said ....diamonds only get interesting at half a carat & even then some won't touch them under one carat.
    25 point diamonds ....are just big enough to be showy if you string them together, but at that size quality is not important .....or often seen.

8. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

Diamond teaters are cheap, I'd call them an essential tool for anyo e buying or selling jewellery.

Marko likes this.
  9. Marko

Marko Well-Known Member

This resembles my husband's wedding ring..... I vote diamonds.....they are nicely channel set. Take it to another jeweler who will test them and have them clean the stones.

10. kardinalisimo

I wish I took the $340 and ran :)
    Went to Cash Converters, they used the tester, told me not diamonds, and offered $80. Went to another place, the guy needed 5 seconds with the loupe to tell me they are CZ's. Offered $40.
    I would feel bad to go to the first place and take the $340. If I sell it for diamonds, they will resell it for diamonds and someone will wear it thinking they are.
    Not sure if I decide to sell it to them, they won't perform better testing and figure what are the stones. Maybe the woman that checked them the first time was not very experienced.
    Anyway, I'll just Ebay it as 10k gold with CZ's.

yourturntoloveit likes this.
  11. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

It sounds like the last two places should have had a gun, Check with a reputable jeweler or go back to the first place as the gold alone could be worth more than 40 - 80 bucks.

12. kardinalisimo

I don't think there is a lot of gold. The ring is no more than 4-5 grams. Minus the weight of the stones, gold should be very little.

13. coreya

coreya Well-Known Member

5 grams @ 10k @ 1326.30 gold spot per oz melt = 88.91

14. Bev aka thelmasstuff

Bev aka thelmasstuff Colored pencil artist extraordinaire ;)

Some places will offer you a fraction of the price so they can get maximum profit when they sell it. I think the first guy was being honest with you and the others are scamming. I had an item that was worth about $3000. The first two shops I went to both said it was a repro worth $350-$400 and offered to buy it on the spot. I had an inkling it was real and waited a couple of years and found a collector who was really excited to see it and said it was late 1700s and quite real.

15. Patricia

Patricia New Member

The mark before the CZ is Ross Simons mark

Figtree3 likes this.
  16. Patricia

Patricia New Member

17. Patricia

Patricia New Member

The initials before the CZ is for Ross Simons - I just researched their jewelry a couple of days ago...Hope this helps.

cxgirl likes this.
  18. Figtree3

Figtree3 What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Welcome to Antiquers, Patricia!

19. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

BTW - when you see CZ on a piece of jewelry, the stones are cubic zirconia. No need to test them.

Bev aka thelmasstuff likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted