Featured 10 Sterling & Turquoise Conchos Marked E. Billy II

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by wlwhittier, Feb 23, 2023.

1. wlwhittier

wlwhittier Well-Known Member

I have 2 needs here, friends; first, I cannot find a mention of E. Billy II, or, for that matter, E. Billy, in my searching.... this may well have to do with my impatience and/or sloppy searching discipline. Second, you'll notice these aren't polished...'tho they were much brighter when they came to me, maybe 20 years ago. The excuse I'll offer is that I'm loath to use any chemistry usually employed on silver (pastes an' such) near the turquoise nuggets. They seem to be an unusually vivid color, which may be natural, but may be dyed. I don't wish to damage them, either way...so call upon your expertise to guide me forward in cleaning & polishing them.
    The buckle is slightly larger than the conchos; 2.186" X 1.566" vs 1.961" X 1.409", so maybe ~15% larger. They have been on a non-descript narrow 'belt' but photos demanded a more compact grouping.

As always, I'm grateful for your attendance to my little problems. Thanks for lookin'!
    EDIT: Make that 10 plus a buckle, for 11...
    64C35E13-51EB-4EEA-A0FF-4092B47B54BC_1_201_a.jpeg B8385429-46E0-4165-AC41-45887E8268EF_1_201_a.jpeg CD7BFCDF-BE7E-426F-89DE-CB56083F5917_1_201_a.jpeg 43638CF3-C3F9-4A89-AA7F-4072E2082691_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited: Feb 23, 2023
  2. johnnycb09

johnnycb09 Well-Known Member

I found several mentions of Emerson Billy Navajo silversmith. Maybe this was by his son? Love them !

3. mirana

mirana Well-Known Member

This page claims he is Navajo and possibly with a first name of "Emerson." I can find buckle pieces on eBay credited to that name, but stamped just Emerson (maybe the first?) and one that says they found him in a book with a bat stamp? :confused:

I've cleaned more delicate silver pieces with a silver solution on a q-tip before. There's always polishing cloth if you want to buff up your arms at the same time as the buckles! :playful:

4. Hollyblue

Hollyblue Well-Known Member

5. wlwhittier

I have found several examples of his work, now. Yes, Navajo, and usually understated designs, as are these.

Many NA an' SW silver items listed on eBay are offered in unpolished condition...but the ones that sell for the better prices are usually shown bright. There's a lesson there for me, I think.

6. charlie cheswick

charlie cheswick Well-Known Member

You lucky duck

I've wanted one for ages, but serious prices on them, rightly so

Jealous

7. Debora

Debora Well-Known Member

Those are beautiful. So simple but...

Debora

8. charlie cheswick

@komokwa

Might be the best person to ask

You lucky ducky

Aquitaine likes this.
  9. charlie cheswick

How much whit, for the lot ;)

10. komokwa

komokwa The Truth is out there...!

as Deb says...so simple , but..
    as Whit says...understated designs, as are these...

As I say....I would rather a nice thick hand worked buckle....than a handful of unworked silver ovals....

so simple........= too simple
    understated.....= no hand stamping..at all...

oh , the turq are nice stones .....but that's it....?? that's all the artist could be bothered to do...?

maybe it's some form of uncluttered design that I'm not familiar with.....

but stamped designs are important to the Navajo....they speak to the tribes culture and history..........these conchos ...don't speak to me at all !!

Polish them with a cloth .....wipe off the turqs.....slide em on a nice black belt and I'm sure it will look lovely........to someone....

but to me, it doesn't even carry a simple design like...

[​IMG]
    or
    [​IMG]

reader, wlwhittier, Dessert58 and 2 others like this.
  11. komokwa

sorry , but my ankle is sore....so I'm a little :grumpy::grumpy::inpain:

reader and charlie cheswick like this.
  12. charlie cheswick

I'm having one komo no matter the price, I kinda like the brown/red leather look

13. komokwa

I hope you find one you really enjoy and respect......!

but one that has some work on it .......;):happy:

[​IMG]

At $195 , this one must have sold fast.......

14. charlie cheswick

How much ??????????

;):):):)

I've got a wad put away for such things

And man would I wear it with respect every day

johnnycb09, Any Jewelry and komokwa like this.
  15. komokwa

us both......
    that price seems very fair......no wonder I found it after it sold..

Any Jewelry and charlie cheswick like this.
  16. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

The style looks like an old Plains-inspired style, rather than the usual Spanish-inspired concha style. Both styles were used by SW silversmiths in the past.
    Yes, that is the real Emerson Billy, also known as Emerson Bill. I see no relation between this style and his, or between the marks.
    Confusing indeed. @reader has the Bille Hougart book mentioned in the listing, maybe she can check.

My Barton Wright book has 4 different marks for Emerson Bill/Emerson Billy (Navajo), but Whit's mark is not among them, nor is the bat mark.
    Stylewise his jewellery is intricate, using an overlay style. It is different from Hopi overlay, and it uses recognizable Navajo motifs that are also used in stampwork.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2023
    reader, komokwa, wlwhittier and 2 others like this.
  17. wlwhittier

Beauty, sir...is in the eye of the beholder.
    This is what I wear most of the year.
    It's busy, just as you like them:
    25A9E162-7751-4C55-A2D8-05F80CC3928D_4_5005_c.jpeg C155A281-CC29-49DE-AEAA-795BFF39B284_1_201_a.jpeg EC09912B-B5E8-4CA4-90C4-1E8E389F29EE_1_201_a.jpeg 632D726F-9162-4B6E-A0E1-9CDF70FB6829_1_201_a.jpeg

reader, Potteryplease and johnnycb09 like this.
  18. komokwa

no no....that's classic bordering on 2nd phase........like the one I showed !
    it's not busy at all.....and the horsehair band is a nice complement !!:happy::happy:

I don't like busy....I like elegant......but your conco's ...have no work on them at all...and may have been ordered that way......or...something else..:inpain:

johnnycb09 and wlwhittier like this.
  19. wlwhittier

They're not (yet) for sale, Charlie. An' when they are, it'll be an eBay auction. I have done no value-related research, so really don't have a clear understanding of their worth in the current market. Thanks for your interest...

20. komokwa

charlie cheswick and wlwhittier like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted