1 of 3, that I'll be asking..Pendleton? blanket, age

Discussion in 'Textiles, Needle Arts, Clothing' started by tyeldom3, Apr 23, 2016.

1. tyeldom3

tyeldom3 Well-Known Member

I have a couple more that I could use some help with, and will post them in separate threads.
    Is this a Pendleton? I was told from around the 30's, would you agree? The label, as you can see, is frayed, but I can make out a few letters, but can't match to any labels in my searches.
    Measures approx 79" x 49". Thanks for your time.
    a1.jpg a2.jpg a3.jpg a4.jpg a5.jpg

lauragarnet likes this.
  2. Rayo56

Rayo56 Well-Known Member

All I know is that it looks like it's made from felted wool with a binding around it, kinda like the old army blankets. I imagine these were woven on a loom

tyeldom3 likes this.
  3. tyeldom3

Thanks Rayo56 :).

I think I may have found the maker, but I'm not sure. I found a blanket online that looks to have the same label. Black & gold, and the "e" looks like the one on my frayed label, as well as 2 other letters that I can see on my label.
    I think the maker is Jacobs Oregon City?
    Here's what I found....scroll down & look at the label. Do you think it's a match?
    http://www.cindysantiquequilts.com/dynapage/IP451.htm

komokwa likes this.
  4. Taupou

Taupou Well-Known Member

I would agree, it's not a Pendleton. The design looks more like those associated with Oregon City, plus the label on a Pendleton is a longer rectangle, while Oregon City labels were more square.

Oregon City Woolen Mills was the chief competitor of Pendleton, and made about 50 different designs. They went out of business in the 1930s.

Robert W. Kapoun's book, Language of the Robe, American Indian Trade Blankets, discusses the five manufacturers of wool trade blankets, and shows examples of the labels used by each.

5. tyeldom3

Wonderful Taupou, thank you ever sooooo much for all your very helpful information. I'm pretty confident now that the label is that of Oregon City. I see they were in business from about 1905-1935. How would I be able to guesstimate age?
    I wonder, do you know if there are pictures somewhere of the different patterns that they made? I have another blanket in a separate post that I will bump up, that perhaps is also by Oregon City.
    Thanks again Taupou, you are so great to offer your help & time.:)

Draft saved Draft deleted