Featured ❤️ Happy Mother’s Day ladies!

Discussion in 'Jewelry' started by Simona Buhus, Mar 8, 2024.

1. Simona Buhus

Simona Buhus Well-Known Member

Wishing you all the love in the world on International women’s day and Mother’s Day for everyone celebrating today!
    DA2DA2A5-8EA0-475E-B34F-B04D5D802E54.jpeg

Last edited: Mar 8, 2024
    IvaPan, Dessert58, stracci and 5 others like this.
  2. Finnclouds

Finnclouds Well-Known Member

Well thank you!
    Mother’s Day isn’t till May where I am, but luckily your flowers will keep.

Happy International Women’s Day to you, too!

IvaPan, Dessert58, Bronwen and 4 others like this.
  3. Simona Buhus

Simona Buhus Well-Known Member

I used to celebrate my mother on today 8th March, which was Mother’s Day when I grew up, got a bit emotional there….took over me this morning and forgotten about the change of date to May.
    The good wishes are from all my heart to all ladies and mothers!❤️

IvaPan, Bronwen, NewEngland and 3 others like this.
  4. Finnclouds

Mother’s Day has been in May in Finland as long as I know but Father’s Day was added way later— and is celebrated six months before Mother’s Day, in November.
    Don’t ask what the logic was…:) Since Father’s days differs in the US and Finland, my kids tend to remember neither — always suggesting that they’ll do it on the OTHER day.

IvaPan and Bronwen like this.
  5. Any Jewelry

Any Jewelry Well-Known Member

Happy International Women’s Day everyone.
    Women have come a long way, but there is still a lot of work to do.

aletta.jpeg

(In case you're wondering, the first three, Anna Maria van Schurman, Aletta Jacobs and Wilhelmina Drucker were Dutch women who fought for equality.)

IvaPan, Bronwen, NewEngland and 2 others like this.
  6. Ownedbybear

Ownedbybear Well-Known Member

Ah, but we have proper Mothering Sunday, and that’s the 10th of March this year.

IvaPan and Bronwen like this.
  7. Any Jewelry

We never celebrated either at home, because my parents said those days were only invented for commercial reasons.
    Women's day is different of course, it is not about presents. Although equal rights and opportunities for women and girls in this world of ours would be the greatest present of all.

IvaPan, Dessert58, Bronwen and 3 others like this.
  8. Finnclouds

AJ— we are not big on any holidays, either. My husband doesn’t care and I used to hate having to wait in bed for the kids and husband to get the coffee made. As long as my kids were home, I told them that all I wanted was not having to cook anything that Sunday. So we had Domino’s….

IvaPan, Bronwen and Any Jewelry like this.
  9. NanaB

NanaB Well-Known Member

Personally, years ago we decided holidays were for hallmark to make a buck so my husband would tell our kids everyday is Mothers Day, Mom should be celebrated everyday.

IvaPan, Simona Buhus, Bronwen and 2 others like this.
  10. Bakersgma

Bakersgma Well-Known Member

Well, it is Women's History Month! Lovely bouquet!

11. evelyb30

evelyb30 Well-Known Member

Happy International Women's Day! We don't celebrate it much here, but if it's an excuse for flowers I'll take it.:D

IvaPan likes this.
  12. Any Jewelry

It isn't an excuse for flowers, more a day of workshops, seminars, and marches.;)

IvaPan, Simona Buhus and NanaB like this.
  13. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

Well, ladies, I join the greetings but with a grain of salt (sorry, if the expression is not the right one :)).
    Why - 8th of March was introduced, established and widely applied as women's day by USSR in their bid to export and spread their ideology which included obligation for women to work, i.e. not to stay as housewives (yes, not a right but an obligation). It is a long story, I will not go into it now, this ideology has its pros and cons for the women but this is the reason why I am with mixed feelings about this day - because it is strongly connected with the communist times in the place where I am, and I have not so pleasant memories of these times.

Anyway, as long as the it involves flowers, presents and celebration, I gladly accept that part of the holiday :joyful:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2024
    Simona Buhus and Any Jewelry like this.
  14. Any Jewelry

Understandable, Iva.
    Sometimes something good comes out of something bad. Which doesn't mean we should forget the bad.
    Today's awareness of the plight of women and girls worldwide, such as the denial of education or medical care, is important. That is one of the things Women's day stands for now.
    So remember the past, also the dark side, and work for a better future wherever women and girls don't have equal rights.

Simona Buhus and IvaPan like this.
  15. IvaPan

IvaPan Well-Known Member

You are right, Any, we should work for a better future for all women (of any age) around the globe. I am the least person to deny the good side of this communist ideological paradigm - equal rights, encouragement to get education and paid jobs, etc. Nonetheless the grain of bitterness remains :)

Anyway, 8th of March is celebrated here every year, flower-shops make crazy turnover on that day, and the restaurants and pubs are full. And everywhere you see men with bouquets in hands rushing in the streets. This year there were even greetings displayed on the public transport buses. So the tradition continues.

evelyb30 and Any Jewelry like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted